Storm rigs

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
I am selecting a position to fit my storm jib temporary stay and would welcome any advice.

With a trysail fitted and a storm jib right forward, will not the boat tend to bear away? The combined centre of pressure must surely move forward or am I missing something?

Aye, Graham

<hr width=100% size=1>GBW

oldsaltoz

Visit site
Think this would depend on the size (area) of the trys'l and storm jib, by correct sizing you should get a balance.

Hope this helps.

<hr width=100% size=1>Andavagoodweekend, Old Salt Oz /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

snowleopard

Visit site
in short- yes.

sailed on a heavy 40 footer in 50 knots of wind. the storm jib was set 4ft back from the bow on a temporary stay but it was still very difficult to get the boat's head to stay up when gusts hit.

the further back you can get it and still get a fair lead for the sheets the better it will work

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Dont worry about it ...

... good balance is not a consideration when caught out in heavy weather. You won't be attempting to sail hard on the wind.

In any case, many hull forms tend to develop weather helm when pinned over at a considerable angle of heel, so the CE of storm sails perhaps ought to be further forward than the normal rig. Broaching, in breaking waves, is one of the greatest dangers.

I have also seen it argued that the storm jib should be set as far forward as possible, as that will give the best control to the helm when running off under warps in extreme conditions. That argument would appear to be supported by the heavy weather tactics of old-time three-masters, but it is not perhaps so applicable for modern light-weight yachts.

To my mind, the most important factor is that the foredeck is a dangerous and difficult place to work in heavy weather, and so it is safer to be able to set the storm jib from well back.

Oldhand

Visit site
I would have thought the most important thing to take into account is achieving a sheeting angle to get the strom jib to set effectively. Thus determine the correct sheeting angle for the sail (or get from the sailmaker) decide where the sheet car/block is going to be and arrange headstay geometry accordingly.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
Re: Dont worry about it ...

<You won't be attempting to sail hard on the wind.>

you hope! first time i was caught out in a f9 i was embayed (in lyme bay) and had no option but to go to windward. 9 times out of 10 you can run before it but on the one time you need to stay off a lee shore you'll curse yourself if you can't sail close hauled.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Re: Dont worry about it ...

As long as any kind of ground can be made to windward, one can keep off a lee shore. Steering 65 to the wind, and getting the yacht pull nicely may actually do better than steering 45, being knocked off by every wave and making a ton of leeway. Certainly easier on the crew.

<hr width=100% size=1>