Stopping over caulking

ianc1200

Visit site
What does everybody use? Years ago Freebodys (where I keep my cruiser) used butyl putty, but it doesn't seem available anymore. Last year with Storm we used a red lead mixture, and I can go to Davy's to get the red lead and check with the boatbuilder what he mixed it with etc, but for my river cruiser last few years I used ordinary linseed oil putty, and whilst it did the job I notice it's very crumbly and I need to rake out and re-do (great fun....).

But any recommendations for something easily available?

sideshowbob

Visit site
Previously I used red lead mixed with linseed oil putty and linseed oil below the waterline and white lead with linseed oil putty and linseed oil above the waterline, I used a board to roll up thin sausages of the mixture (like Plasticine, to push into the seams before pressing in and smoothing off with a pallet knife) I also prepainted the seams before applying the putty, this was all using traditional oil based products though. You could just use slick seam nowadays below the wl but am not sure its a product that you can just paint over.........

Last edited:

stephenh

Visit site
From 50 years ago - if my memory serves me correctly :-
Take ordinary glaziers linseed oil putty and bash and kneed it until it is well mixed and smooth - the addition of more (boiled) linseed oil helps if it is old.
Working in tabloid newspaper takes out the surplus l. oil if it is needed because it is very fresh.
Add red lead powder until it is a bright rose pink ( or white lead if it is for the topsides - but there are better proprietary fillers for this area)
It is now too stiff and you add a modicum of Gold Size to help it harden and then some more linseed oil.
By now it is too runny so you add whiting powder (finely ground chalk I think) until you get your preferred consistency.
Sorry about the vague quantities but cannot remember !
Don't use it on the topsides as the pink bleeds through and the painters will shout at you !

Good luck
stephenh

ianc1200

Visit site
Is it the linseed oil (& raw or boiled?) that keeps it from drying out - as in drying out when it's next out of the water? Didn't have any such problems with Storm following the red lead stopping I did last year, but she was only out beginning December until the end of February.

Sniper

Visit site
I've taken to adding a bit of grease to the linseed putty and red lead mix. It helps it flow a bit better and seems to stop it drying out too badly. I think it's one of those jobs you just have to do every 15-20 years or so, but it can be done incrementally rather than all at once.

chinita

Visit site
Looking at the price of red lead powder it would probably be cheaper to mix putty with cocaine. OK, might not work for long but would you care?

itchenseadog

www.hopeandaiddirect.org.uk
We (Rampart) used linseed oil putty mixed with red lead powder below waterline and white lead on the topsides. Add boiled linseed oil to the putty lead mix to get the right consistancy and add a dollop (approx a tablespoon per kg) of goldsize to aid hardening, you my need to add some chalk powder to return to consistancy. Take a small handful and apply to the seam using a traditional putty knife, run the knife over the seam cleaning off excess and leave it about 1mm below flush. Beware of handling red lead if you hve any cuts in your hands. I always found puttying seams quite theraputic - it was always an overtime job.

Mad Pad

Visit site
+1 for red lead and putty with a wee bit of linseed oil or grease to soften it.

With regards to cocaine,I have just bought 1kg of red lead powder for £24.

Googling the price of half decent uncut cocaine we seem to be nearer £70,000 a kilo....

No contest,I'm a red lead man any day!!

ianc1200

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice. Classic Marine's chandlery is now at Suffolk Yacht Harbour, at Levington, and I dropped in there at the weekend to get my red lead powder.

Sniper

Visit site
Looking at the price of red lead powder it would probably be cheaper to mix putty with cocaine. OK, might not work for long but would you care?

We await with interest your findings should you choose to substitute the Columbian marching powder with red lead! ?

chinita

Visit site
Ten minutes after I posted, Sailorman flogged me some stuff. He said it was 'the dogs'. I tried it but all my putty has fallen out.

When I realised what he meant I sniffed it but it was just like talcum powder. You don't think I have been had do you?

Sniper

Visit site
It might add a whole new dimension to Red Nose Day. If Sailorman flogged you something and said it was 'the dogs' I suspect he's been collecting around the Foxs poo bins again.