stingy tightarse survey

Forbsie

Visit site
To try to explain how novice I am with engines - what is a bell-housing? I keep forgetting to look when I have the workshop manual in front of me.

I already have on the boat a Bowman heat exchanger and a Lancing Marine thingy underneath. Is it likely that I can use these with the BMC unit?

Forbsie

Visit site
Thanks for that, Steve. I'm on my brother's computer and no ICQ. Got to go and bury my Dad now so if I post any stupid or intelligible posts tonight after the wake, I'll apologise for them now. ;-)

Joe_Cole

Visit site
Put me on your list.

I do all my own work. I enjoy it...well most of it, but above all I can't help but think that it might stand me in good stead if things go wrong at sea. I've also read too many stories about poor and expensive work at boat yards.

When we bought our boat it had a rather elderly outboard which I was assured had been fully serviced. I was even given the receipt which showed that apart from servicing the boat yard had charged for checking out the cooling. The engine had not been used since the"repairs". When I looked at it the impellor had completely disintegrated and the waterways were choked up. I stripped the engine, cleaned it all up and got it going again. After that I never bothered using a boat yard, it seems too much hassle.

One thing that I can't understand though. If I save all this money by doing it myself why is that I still spend it on other things for the boat?

Joe Cole

johnt

Visit site
I think I might qualify .. I fitted a "new "engine last year,
a Yanmar 2GM, but rather that pay large amounts of dosh to a dealer I got hold of an old one, took it apart and rebuilt it..then got PBO to pay me for an article about it :)

sapper

Visit site
Heh! - Never thought I,d see so many bolt to sign up for the tightarse brigade.Id love to see if the partners ( PC or what ?), agree that so little cash is spent. I thought it was cards on the table time. Anyway full marks Steve for some interesting insights, I am not alone after all, if its for the boat its a bargain, if you
install it yourself how can she complain? All joking aside the reality for me is that I do what I can & pay for the rest & find it pricey. Are there any good moorings left in Dorset ?

aztec

Visit site
you are welcome, the more i try, the more i find that people will rip you off. the benefit of which is that i have built up quite a good list of contacts that are reliable, and give good (genuine) value.... something that seems to be lacking in this sector of the market. all the best, steve.

interested in stuff that needs mendin'

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.amos/index.html

G

I do what I can, rest waits for 'spare cash availability !! - RARE !