Still searching, advice please

oldmonsty

Visit site
Hello all
Once again I went off in search of my ideal, this time to Chichester,where I went to view one boat (mis-described by broker yet again)and happened upon a Neptunian 33 which looked and felt very 'right'. It is however neither a bilge keeler nor under 30' but it seemed to me maybe worthwhile to consider and perhaps forget the cheap(ish) 30' mud berth. Any comments?

Chrissie

Visit site
Consider the costs of mooring, in the same harbour a boat that can sit on the mud at a cost of £1200 a year, would cost as much as £3600 a year if it has to go on a deeper mooring such as a marina, ((26ft boat, Portsmouth Harbour used as example)

There are other considerations, each time you want to scrub her off, a bilge keeler can be done between tides on drying piles, but lifting in and out by crane £350 or more, but costs aside, go for the boat that makes your heart flutter, its so much easier to shell out the cash when you love your boat.

rob2

Visit site
You don't need a bilge keeler to dry out between tides! Moor up to the scrubbing piles and you can scrub off or do minor underwater work between tides. I have "cheated" and applied Coppercoat antifouling so the scrubbing off is reduced to a quick rub over with a pan scourer.

Many scrubbing piles are free to use, e.g. in the Hamble if you have a local mooring or my club's piles - before settling into the bar whilst awaiting the tide for departure. Even when charges are made, they are usually quite reasonable. Manouevring onto piles is a good exercise in boat handling, but don't forget you ladder for getting upand down when there's no water!

It's true that moorings for a fin-keeler can be expensive, but there are still some good deals, though usually with a waiting list. I have just got a Hamble Harbour Authority mooring for my 28 footer, although the mooring can accomodate up to 32 ft, less than half the price of a contractor's mooring. I was on the waiting list for three years but had less of a wait than most as so many people seem to demand at least 40 ft for their first boat, so the smaller moorings have faster turnover.

Rob.