Stiff Rudders ?

spring

Visit site
I had My MG spring 25 ashore all last year on its trailer, when visiting to preparing for this season, I was surprised to find that the rudders (two) have become very stiff to move, it now needs a hard push. I put a call into Northshore who made the last Springs, and they say it is possible the bearings (I believe they are Aluminium tube Nylon bearings) have dried out, and may be ok when back in the water.

Anyone else had this problem on a Spring or another twin rudder boat?

boguing

Visit site
Salt build up in the tubes I'm afraid. And yes, it has happened before.

Drop them out, plug the bottom hole and use lots of hot water to flush it out.

BAtoo

Visit site
If you can drop the rudders, wash with lots of water (hot if poss), clean - possibly with a domestic soft plastic scourer, lubricate with TEFLON (not oil or WD 40).

If you cant drop them - the rudders i mean - squirt in lots of hot water into the bearing gap if possible, working the rudders as you go, then lots of teflon spray forced into the joint - it will help till you can do it properly as above.

This all assumes the bearing are still intact etc......

AndrewB

Visit site
Its possible you may have bent a rudder post. So best to get them out to check.

If the posts are stainless, you may have crevice corrosion under the bearings causing trouble. This is also a good reason for getting them out to check.

As Oldharry says, nylon bearings do swell over time, specially if the boat has been afloat (or out in the rain) not in regular use. If like mine, the bearings are a pig to get out and replace. So instead each season I sand (by hand) the steel rudder post until it is smooth-turning.

Don't just squirt in oil/teflon and hope for the best - it won't work.