Stiff Lewmar 16STs

zalophus

Visit site
Stipped, cleaned and re-lubed winches as normal yesterday. The 2-speed 44s are both fine, but the single speed 16STs are both stiffer than they should be. There were no broken or gunged up pawls, either in the self tailer or on the main spindle, and the only sign of wear I could find was some scoring of the red gear spindle sleeves. Could it really be these accounting for the stiffness, or have I missed something obvious? I use light machine oil on the pawls and a bit of Quicksilver teflon grease on the gears and bearings.

bjl

Visit site
I don't think you need worry. Your 16 STs are smaller than your 44s and will not 'free wheel' as well as your 44s when you spin them. You've serviced them and they will be fine for the this season. I serviced my own Lewmar 16 STs today with the same results.

Last edited:

terryoff1

Visit site
16sts

Hi All, I have a problem with my two 16 st's one is stiffer than the other, however I can not find a way to dismantle then to service any advice? thanks in advance. Tel

bjl

Visit site
No tools are required to service the winch. You should be able to remove the top cap by unscrewing with your finger and thumb. If it's too tight then you might need to lightly tap a screwdriver placed in one of the two wedges in the cap to start the cap turning . You'll then be able to remove the drum. Top tips:

a. If necessary, place something below the winch to catch any parts that you might drop.
b. Take a digital photograph at each stage to help you remember the order in which you dismantled the winch.

Don't worry too much about reassembly because it's not easy to put it together wrongly.

A link to a YouTube video on how to sevice a bigger Lewmar winch follows. The video is not of a 16ST but you'll soon get the idea. There are 3 videos in the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZr_NuCmB64

Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited: