Stern thruster question

Seastoke

Visit site
So we have a side power , make bow thruster and we want to have a stern thruster fitted . the question is the gadget that say can hold in position worth the money , has anyone got experience of them and is it worth the extra cash.

Robin

Visit site
We have bow and stern thrusters, inherited with the boat a TS37. Our high windage 47FT USA boat we lived on had neither and I managed OK, but it did have a small cockpit from which to line handle rather than the high aft deck over our stern cabin now. With bow and stern thrusters even an ex WAFI of 50 + years handling experience on a single engine sailboat has a chance ofgetting close enough to moor safely. I know the mobo community handling experts will sniff a bit but WTF I still value my nookie points. ?

Simon 420

Visit site
We had a sidepower stern thruster fitted last winter with a remote control unit. Kept the original bow thruster control stalk on the flybridge ( from where we do 99% of control) just in case the batteries on the remote fail, and have the remote in its cradle up there. Wired in bow and stern controllers to the main helm. We're fairly newbies and felt that this would give us better fine control on docking etc, whilst still trying to do the traditional thing with shafts and rudders. It's been a revelation. Makes us feel so much more confident manouvering the boat in tight situations. Having the remote also means that we can adjust lines etc from anywhere - particularly useful when getting back on board -without getting a hernia

NoviceRod

Visit site
Both our current Nimbus and the previous one (which was single engine) had them fitted as standard - wouldn't be without them. I know the perfectionists say 'do it with your two engines', but I am not proud!

girlofwight

Visit site
We've got Side Power bow and stern thrusters and the lockable proportionate control which I think is what you are referring to?

I've found the locking both reliable and useful, and if your budget goes there, its worth having. Its like having an extra pair of hands to hold the boat alongside whilst line tending.