Stern Gland

jools

Visit site
My yacht has a nylon stern gland which houses a 25mm prop shaft. The stern gland is fairly conventional in so much as it is made from 2 parts, 1 fitting inside the other trapping some packing and held together ith 2 studs which can be tightened up by 2 nuts. This whole assembly is fitted to the stern tube via a piece of thick wall rubber hose.
This system has served well for the last 800 hours of use, however I would now like to renew it. Has any one out there seen anything like this for sale as I don't seem to be able to find one any where?

boomer

N/A
Visit site
I agree both the above posts. Portmere Rubber are definitely the people if you need to renew the rubber bit. Don't be tempted to use a bit of exhaust hose as so many people do. It looks very similar to the proper stuff but will let you down eventually (and critically) The real McCoy is much more expensive - Portmere sell it by the inch!!

G

If renewing, I would suggest getting a Volvo stern seal. It is all rubber, with no packing involved, simple to fit and is available in sizes upto about 35mm diameter propshafts.