Stern Drive Oil VP

GrowingLad

Visit site
Morning Chaps,

I would like to know if I've understood this correctly.

As neale of this maner kindly informed me, my model of stern drive requires SAE90 oil.

Now, I've started to look around as things like this can very widely in price over here....but it appears that I can't find SAE90.

I did find some 80W90 yesterday and from having a quick read up on the web it seams as though the Viscosity is 80 when cold and changes to 90 when hot...Is this correct?

Would I be correct in assuming that 80W90 would be okay to use?

Pendana

Visit site
The duo-prop sterndrives should use a fully synthetic SAE 75W-90 oil.
This is usually hard to find in your average motor factors store and if you do find any it is unlikely to be any cheaper than Volvo sell it for.
I've tried asking people who work for the oil company's and have concluded it is so much easier to ring the volvo supplier and get it delivered. About £80 for 6 litres - sufficient for 2 sterndrives (290,DP series).

Eddie

GrowingLad

Visit site
This is for a 100 leg, which I'm assuming is far more basic than later legs. I'm even taking a guess that 80W90 probably wasn't even readily available when the leg was in production.

It may be that the oil may not last as long as the "puka" volvo stuff, but changing it isn't a problem as the boat's kept on a trailer and at 6 euros a litre, its worth knowing whether I can use it...the price you just mentioned is somewhat more expensive:eek::eek:

Not to mention will be at a premium over here.

She's an old boat and gets very little use, I'm looking for something that will do the job. If she was new and I had warranties to worry about my choice would be different.

Just want to make sure that the 80W90 is not the completely wrong stuff to use and will cause the leg to seize or something.

neale

Visit site
Castrol Hypoy LS 90 is an SAE90 mineral gear oil. They also do SP90 and EP90. Not sure which one would be best for you.

This site seems to state that the oil should meet API GL5

So maybe the LS90 is the one to go for.

The Shell oil you found also meets API GL5 so personally I'd be inclined to take a punt, especially if that is the only choice you have, but that's easy for me to say as it ain't my drive :p

Last edited:

GrowingLad

Visit site
Castrol Hypoy LS 90 is an SAE90 mineral gear oil. They also do SP90 and EP90. Not sure which one would be best for you.

This site seems to state that the oil should meet API GL5

So maybe the LS90 is the one to go for.

The Shell oil you found also meets API GL5 so personally I'd be inclined to take a punt, especially if that is the only choice you have, but that's easy for me to say as it ain't my drive :p

I'll have another look next time I'm passing to see if they have the straight 90, but looking at the chart the 80W90 specs are pretty close to the straight 90.

Considering the last time the oil came from a large barrel (which I'm guessing probably wasn't exactly the right stuff) when the yard at the time did a re-build and it's been okay to this point I'm willing to take a gamble....

....unfortunately what with the language barrier (I can get by with day to day stuff, but talking techi stuff about oil is always gonna be a problem) and the fact that most of the people selling the stuff wouldn't be able to give me a straight answer I have to work these things out by other methods...namely drawing on the wealth of knowledge on the forum.

I've got a feeling, these old legs are so solid, you could run without anything and it would still keep going :)

tico

Visit site
I've got a feeling, these old legs are so solid, you could run without anything and it would still keep going .... don't bet on it!

One yard wonderfully managed to replace leg without oil.
Lasted about 15 minutes before siezing..... took me a lift and a lot of engineering to repair.
And that was on an old 280 single prop leg

JKay

Visit site
Only the Volvo 100b leg needs ENGINE oil 15w40 the same as my Volvo 275's not gear oil,cheap as chips even where you are :)

Note only applies to the 100B leg

Last edited:

neale

Visit site
Your Volvo 100a/b leg needs ENGINE oil 15w40 the same as my Volvo 275's not gear oil,cheap as chips even where you are :)

Only the 100B uses engine oil. The 100 uses SAE90 gear oil. The OP has a 100 leg that requires gear oil.

Look at the second link I posted in post no 6

JKay

Visit site
oops sorry Guys!The Volvo oil is about £6.50 a litre and he'll only need 2.5 litres Can he not get It over there?

NB have editted previous post just in case ;)

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
And the chart at http://www.volvopenta.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Penta/Misc/drive_2_oil_rec_7745608.pdf

Confirms what Neale has said

SAE 90 gear oil in the AQ 100 drives. Engine oil in the AQ 100B drives.

A multigrade such a SAE80W90 will be fine in place of a straight SAE 90.

80W refers to its viscosity at very low temperatures. 90 refers to its viscosity at 100C

There are two Shell Spirax grades SAE80W90 and SAE 85W140 as well as synthetics Spirax S

Last edited: