Steel yacht and rust

Peter

Visit site
As a new steel yacht owner I’m looking for advice on treating rust on my 43ft steel yacht. The areas of concern are small patches in the bilge’s and other inaccessible areas on the inside of the hull. The paint manufactures I’ve spoken to all recommend removing all the rust back to bare metal and repainting. In a lot the areas this is practically impossible, just about reach with a paintbrush. My current thoughts are to use a rust inhibitor/convector, then paint over with the epoxy paint currently used.
I would like to know what you other steel boaters do about rust, what you use, strategy, prevention etc
Thanks for your replays

Peter

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
Peter,
I have cast iron keels on my Westerly Konsort, and to combat the rusting, I applied NeutraRust 661 four years ago. Apart from minor touching up, I have not recoated the keels except to apply antifouling. There was a thread on here about 3 months ago concerning this same problem, and someone came up with the new address and phone number for NeutraRust International. If I find it, I will pass it on to you - unless someone else can supply the details.

With Neutrarust 661, it is not necessary to remove any rust other than flaking rust. It requires a rust film to convert the rust to a hard black finish.

About five years ago, there was an article in PBO about a steel boat, and how the builder/owner coated the rust-film hull with Neutrarust 661. That was when I bought some, and never looked back.

regards,
Philip

AndrewB

Visit site
Sorry Peter, but there is just no alternative. You HAVE to find a way of cleaning the rust back to bare metal and recoating (preferably with epoxy, but there are other systems), otherwise you won't crack the problem. Yes, its a swine reaching and getting power tools into odd corners - this is where you get to appreciate good design which minimises these problems.

The neutralisers provide only a temporary solution. As Philip says, they work well with cast iron, but mild steel is different. I find them helpful in loosening rust but they must be removed before overcoating with epoxy.

PS - you must clean back to silver metal, don't leave patches of shiny dark blue burnished rust. Avoid cutting into good metal though - hand chipping is better than indiscriminant use of an angle grinder. Finish with a power wire-brush. Sand-blasting is quicker and more effective, but makes a terrible mess.

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
I only said I had applied it to my cast iron keels, but I have also applied it to mild steel as well. It works just as well on ms as it does on ca.

I was given a brochure on NeutraRust a few years ago, and 661 High Build was developed to be used on the New York bridges over the Hudson River. Specifically High Build so that it would not drip into the river - user and environmentally friendly. More so than the state of the Hudson!!

The brochure also made a point of the fact that metal had to have some surface rust to be able to convert. It is not an acid based chemical, but water. Brushes are washed out in fresh water.

I would suggest Peter does a BT directory search of the Staines area to find the phone number of NeutraRust International. If I find it, I will post it.

regards,
Philip

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
Peter,
I have just looked back through R2R postings, and have found my original posting - in March. I will copy it below.

Following is a copy of the reply to my posting on the PBO web-site early February.

>>>Posted by Lynn Ogle on Friday, 2 February 2001, at 11:14 a.m., in response to Corrosion of keels, posted by Philip Stevens on Sunday, 28 January 2001, at 12:06 a.m.

Many thanks for all the interest shown in our product and the kind references. We are pleased to confirm that we are still at the following address:

Unit 17 The Green Business Centre, The Causeway, Staines, Middlesex, TW18 3AL

Tel: 01784 455454 Fax: 01784 450752

If you have any technical queries or questions then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards <<<

If anyone is interested in reading about it, the website is http://www.NeutraRust.com/prnr661.htm.

Good luck and regards, Philip (Saffron of Kernow)

There you have it. Give them a call, and glean all you can from them.

regards,
Philip

PaulJ

Visit site
Have a look at Jotun's "Jotamastic 87" epoxy, I'm told that it was developed for use on North Sea oil rigs and is also used on the insides of bulk carriers and tankers. Though my steel was blasted and primed before construction, Jotun assured me that this product does not require the steel to be blasted and will give good performance on steel that has only been wire brushed provided there is no loose rust. The first coat is "Jotamstic 87 Aluminium" which is 87% solids and goes on quite thick. The second and any subsequent coats are just Jotamastic 87, both can be brushed on. There is some info on their website (www.jotun.co.uk) and on it you will find reference to a Charles Atkinson who is the guy with whom I had dealings. He is well informed and helpful and I suggest that you contact him.

My boat isn't finished yet but it has been standing out in all weathers for the last four years and the coating still looks as good as new.

alan54

Visit site
peter,
I have had a 48`steel Suncoast for 6 years and wouldn`t swop it for anything. The point about initial good design and built is intinsically vital, I beleive.
I am constantly `cleaning up various rust spots but they are more unsightly than anything else. It is well known that a problems with steel is from the inside and I beleive that this is where one must be on top of the work. If you keep on top of this and know all the possible areas than you will have no serious problems. I think the beauty of steel and repair was brought home to me recently after the boat had laid ashore for a well deserved new primar paint job. The front of the keel which is a redundanr waste tank was pierced with the grit blaster. The area was welled and it came up new. I filled the inside of this area with a mixture of old oil and diesel.
In the past I to have used Neutra rust. It is not cheap but ithink it is very good. You must as pointed out get back to bare metal but using wire brush in a power drill and a scaper you can apply the 661 converter and then some primer. if you do this you will have no serious problems at worse some very superficial rust may come back.
I am in the process of contacting them again since it was a few years since I actually went to their office in Staines.
the number I have is 0784 455454 / 456041 / 462826
I think someone as given you their e-mail.

enjoy
regards,
Alan