Steel launch

chippie

Visit site
I was talking to a fellow the other day who had a 26' steel launch for sale. It is an unfinished project so its performance could only be guessed.

My question is this: what is the minimum practical size for a steel boat before the weight factor makes it non viable? I recall reading somewhere that a steel yacht, at least, should be mid thirty feet upwards, although this might have also been refering to the economic issues as well.

Any ideas?

mtb

Visit site
My tugs 26 ft and has good performance ,yesterday I decided to have a stroll along the rock wall having a steel hull means you can do things like that with out fretting on plastic crunching.

You did not say what thickness the plating was
I would say it depends on the hull shape / type, and super structure .
Then engine to be used drive and so on .
If he made it then the plans should indicate the design speed for various drive units
Mick

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boats
I want a big steel ex trawler / tug v/cheep or swap for tug

chippie

Visit site
Thanks for your reply. No, dumbo me didnt ask the thickness of the plating
How thick is yours and what speed/power do you achieve? My guesstimate would be around 8 knots for the boat I mentioned; does this sound about right?
A few yachties I have met value their steel boat's tolerance of the odd brush with the coral in the pacific so no argument about strength.

mtb

Visit site
I think the original hull was 4mm but I redid it with 3mm
As for performance well its got a Volvo diesel 200 or so bhp turbo'ed through a 3 to reduction gear ,4 bladed prop .
it goes fast when you open it, certainly much more than 8 knots up I shall have to get some one to drive along the track next to the river and open right up when the tide is at a fairly low state so as not to damage the high banking,saying that it actually has low wash .
It does depend on what use you want it for sea stuff fine if you have plenty of power to get where your going.
There was a steel hull in the free ads a while back he wanted £500.00
Is this the one !!
Mick

I want a big steel ex trawler / tug v/cheep or swap for tug

chippie

Visit site
Re: MTB,

No, I dont think you will have seen the ad as I am about 12000 miles away from you in NZ.

From what you have been saying it would seem that perhaps steel would only be a handicap because of weight in a yacht this small as they wont get 200hp of wind power.
The boat I had expressed some interest in has an 80 hp ford , hence my estimate of 8 knots.It is of a hard chine shape but as I have only spoken to the owner over the phone at this stage I dont know much more about it. My posting was by way of a preliminary enquiry to assess the viability of a vessel that has not yet been launched. This may all come to nothing as it looks like the sale of my present boat may have fallen through. Many thanks for your reply.

mtb

Visit site
Because 3mm is manageable , lifting and moving sheets of steel can be hard work.
The other main reason is working the steel 3mm you can bend on your own or beat it into shape with a hammer.
The steel will last just as long because while I have the tug it will be maintained ,cleaned inside and out and repainted as well, also I have put 6 anodes on which will be change every two years .
Hope that answers your question.
Mick

I want a big steel ex trawler / tug v/cheap or swap for tug