Steady sails and Flybridge cruisers

G

I tried this on my Ocean 37. I included a bowsprit and 4 masts with full square rigging. It worked well but the Authorities threatened to prosecute me for having 35 Crew aboard to help. They said I could only have up to 12 plus the Skipper. I have reverted to two banks of rowers, six aside. I got these from Henley Rowing Club (ladies section)

G

I tried something similar on our aft cockpit Fairline. I'd thought of fitting a steadying mast but decided it would probably look a bit silly (well she decided for me) and instead used a parasail connected to the anchor windlass so I can let it out and recover it easily. It works OK when the wind's off to either beam, certainly steadies the motion of the boat and does give a 7 or 8 knot speed increase, but tends to collapse if the heading of the boats any more than about 25 degrees either side of the bow. Best effect is if you use a line of at least 200metres. The parasail's are available off the shelf in variuos sizes to suit virtually any size boat, but only come in very bright, garish colours so can look a bit strange. If anyone else wants to try it, I got mine from a Swedish company, www.lirpaloof.com.

G

I've been trialing a spinnaker on my Princess for the last two years, With both engines running I'm getting 55 knots on a good day with 52% saving on fuel. Developed by the Pete Goss Team and professionally fitted. it's more bulbous than conventional sails and is mounted from the radar arch, with the centre cleats used as running gear. An after thought was to mount a window in the sail as early trials required the radar to be used permanently as the only form of vision. All sheets run to the capstan on the electric anchor winch and are controlled remotely from the fly bridge. Sam could you please send me plans of your steady sail as the ride tends to become a bit unstable in following sea's. Captain Nemo

G

Ah Ha, it was you then?

Off Lowestoft around end of August? We were out in our Broom 29 lovely sunny day when all of a sudden the sun was blotted out, looked round and there was this huge kite seeming to take up half the sky. Tracked it back to a cruiser, couldn't make out what it was, about 1/4 mile away going like the clappers. Tried to catch you up to ask for the gen on the kite, but couldn't get anywhere near you. Boy that thing was flying. I'm going to have to try this, thks for the info

G

Parasails

Ja, thanks for your kind words about our products and we are glad that you are having the really good experiences with them. You should be knowing that we are now making our parasails in more friendly colurs for the boating sailors. Rather than just the flourescent colours we now making them in few pastel shades blue and green too, so an eyesore so much they are not anymore. Also sizes. Many more there are now, from just 5 metres to our superlarge at 25 metres for veri large boats. These big parasails generate 4.8tonnes of lift so even 20 metre boats now can on the plane get it up quicker. We send you more info if you want.

G

I have a Princess 35 with twin Volvo 200hp and found that she was a bit unruly in any kind of sea. I had read about steady sails used by old fashioned trawlers and the like and decided to give it a go. The mast is mounted on my transom and braced via the Davit mountings and the forward flying bridge.

The results have been a revelation even if the boat is a little bit strange looking now. She is much steadier especially in a beam sea and the sail is even capable of moving her without engine assistance in a decent wind albeit at a very slow speed . I have also found that, with the wind on the quarters, I can manage a slightly faster top speed than under engine power alone. It can make maneuvering in the marina a little tricky and is best furled before berthing.

It has been such a success in my opinion that I wonder whether anyone else has tried such a set up, or even perhaps gon a stage further with maybe a second mast allowing a ketch rig.

G

This is ridiculous.

This will make racing a farce.

I can see that there is going to have to be a significant increase in the time for which yachts have to have switched off there engines before the race starts or else you lot are going to come along from 5 miles back on the plane, switch off and continue under kite power alone @ 35kts.

This will make a mockery of the current rules.

I would like to hear what my MP has to say about this.

Attachments

• 10533452_10152348389760896_4850632733134911513_n.jpg
    10533452_10152348389760896_4850632733134911513_n.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2512.jpg
    IMG_2512.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 0
G

Re: Parasails

Please note that your product will be banned if it is seen on our lakes.

It is clearly too large, and too colourfull and would make the boats go too fast.

Thank you.

ps What colours does it come in?

G

Dear Sirs,

I have tried in vein to contact you via your website but would be extremely interested to hear more about your products.

I too have had problems getting it up and feel that the 25 mtr version could be just what I need.

Your kind attention to this would be most appreciated.

Yours,

etc etc etc

G

Oh yes, we too have tried the Pete Goss Power-naker, (Thats the brand name that it is being marketed under.) However I would be very cautious in using it.

We had it fitted to our Fairline 36 sedan, however the excess stress on the bow sections caused a large amount of cracking to appear suddenly one day whilst making 58 knots across Lyme bay. We were forced to abandon to the liferaft at high speed (The fuse tripped on the windlass) and the last we saw of her was a cream of white wave and splash of purple as she dissapeared over the horizon at a furious pace.

We lost the Epirb signal 3 weeks later and she has never been recovered.

Attachments

• Memory.jpg
    Memory.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 0
G

Here at Team Philips HQ. it was noticed that wind surfers speed records are now approching 90 mph.

On examining the design of surf boards we discoverd that they bore no similarities to the average yacht.

But were more akin to the planing hull of a motor boat.

These exiting new developments coupled with the legendary Princess 35's sea keeping qualities means

that within the next year or two Princess, fairline and even Binliners will be winning the Fastnet hands down.

Round the world compititions are now being arranged for future years.

Sea condition will be a thing of the past because

It is thought that the boat will only touch the water

every sixth wave or so.

We have approched the RYA for approval and entery forms for the Fastnet but',

the door was locked.

However a note was fixed to the door.

It read.

GONE FISHING !!

Attachments

• Stella Bianca pic.jpg
    Stella Bianca pic.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2326.JPG
    IMG_2326.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2332.JPG
    IMG_2332.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2350.JPG
    IMG_2350.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2360.JPG
    IMG_2360.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2799.jpg
    IMG_2799.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2803.jpg
    IMG_2803.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2800.jpg
    IMG_2800.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 0
  • AZ55 hatch.JPG
    AZ55 hatch.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 0
  • brackets.JPG
    brackets.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 0
  • bracket1.jpg
    bracket1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2806.jpg
    IMG_2806.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2801.jpg
    IMG_2801.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 0
G

Abuse of this forum

I am absolutely disgusted with you lot! I mean poor old SailorSam tries to make a perfectly serious suggestion and looks for advice on improving his idea and all you lot can do is mock and come up with ridiculous suggestions. I mean its just not true that you could get 52knts in a Fairline. The mods suggested can only get about an extra couple of knots at the most.

Sam, on behalf of the less rude contributors to this forum I should like to apologise for the unwarranted abuse you've had, especially from that Captain Nemo - he's nearly as bad as Haydn! He does'nt only get at you but I assume his reference to Binliners relates to those superb Bayliner boats, well known to first time buyers and the nouveau riche. I mean he has insulted them all.

The only reasonable suggestion made was the chute which I will try on my Birchwood (no jokes please from Fairline or Princess owners). I'll let you know how I get on.

Nick

Attachments

• IMG_1220.jpg
    IMG_1220.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 0
G

Well the film industries done it. Now it's time for the BAFTA awards BOAT Afiliation of Fact Truth and Afliction Awards. We can run for the OSCERS Ocian, Science, Credibility, Ecentric, Resonable. Seagoingpersons.

!! Oh well!!.

The cast in order. And Nominations please for the winners.

Nick ( As sailor Sam) for dreaming the whole silly thing up.

Haydn (As Captain Nemo) For being stupid enough for going along with it.

Colin as coliholic and Oulerdimages. Also taking the part of Lirpaloof.com I suspect.

The Windermere Park Authority. ( For being themselves)

With greatfull thanks to Cris and Disgusted From Tunbridge Wells.

And not forgetting Doug. for adding credibility and incredibility to the story.

Prises to be given out at the Disorganised Rally on

Yarmouth IOW. 6 July .

Sue is going to dish out the prises topless (Hopefully).

(if the weathers ok)

if not it's bottomless with a big mack on and wade'rs

(just to look kinky)

This was An MBYF Production.

Motor Boatie Yachtie Farce.

From the studio's of MGM.

Screen play by Nick

Directed By Haydn

And acted upon by Colin

(Mats going to come along later (When he wakes up)

to give the edited highlights) and act as Journalist with a few wise comments.

THE END

Now All Stand Up And Sing.

God Save OUR --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------?

G

Re: Abuse of this forum

Your last paragraph refers, I mean, who would make a rude remark about a biodegradable Birchwood ;-)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 23.24.14.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 23.24.14.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 0
G

Look lets not get into this. I mean if you are jealous of my superb boat then I am sorry but we can't all be lucky. I suppose you have one of those shiny laquered things with white carpets. Well let me tell you, I'll bet you my cocktail cabinet's bigger than yours. And I've got a little thing on the dash which tells me the outside temperature! So there!

Nick

G

I am very welcome on skittlebit. More welcome than you after I spilled the beans about you!(see double trouble)

Nick

G

Nick if you get the sail fitted

You should get free entrance to Shuttlbug !!

Mind you you'll get band from here!!!!