Staysail

harstonwood

Live Staffordshire Moorlands/Boat Pwllheli
Visit site
Seeing a fair few boats now fitting a staysail, using a sail (Jib cut) on a furler with a torsion cable sewn into the luff, and then hoisting using a spi halyard
Guessing using for power reaching when above code zero wind limits
Seems like a good idea, especially short handed
Any rating issues?

harstonwood

Live Staffordshire Moorlands/Boat Pwllheli
Visit site
Seeing a fair few boats now fitting a staysail, using a sail (Jib cut) on a furler with a torsion cable sewn into the luff, and then hoisting using a spi halyard
Guessing using for power reaching when above code zero wind limits
Seems like a good idea, especially short handed
Any rating issues?

No, I mean a staysail as described in the article you attached as a “Genoa Staysail”
It’s deployed to a hard point on the deck, and hoisted on fractional halyard.

Seen one on a J109 recently .

It’s a good option on passage racing at night, possibly. Just wondered if any rating issues?

flaming

Visit site
No, I mean a staysail as described in the article you attached as a “Genoa Staysail”
It’s deployed to a hard point on the deck, and hoisted on fractional halyard.

Seen one on a J109 recently .

It’s a good option on passage racing at night, possibly. Just wondered if any rating issues?

Would need to be on a halyard inside the forestay. Symmetrical boats tend to use the pole up.

But, no, no rating issues. In fact some boats just use their storm jib for the purpose.

Honeymonster

Visit site
Here's a picture of the Spinnaker Staysail on my Sun Fast 3200. Has it's own torsion stay inside the luff and a furler and is hoisted on the spare genoa halyard. No rating penalty and a definite speed increase in the right conditions.

Attachments

• Fastrak_Staysail.jpg
    Fastrak_Staysail.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 7

Honeymonster

Visit site
Thanks for that - did you beef up the attachment point for the tack?

The 3200 comes with a centreline mooring cleat on the foredeck. This is positioned over the aft end of the anchor locker where there is addtional laminate where the anchor locker well is laminated in. I moved the mooring cleat. Plenty of strength there for a tack point, which on my boat was a soft loop RopeEye fitting. Anyway, the spinnaker staysail is not used upwind, so the luff does not need to be super tight. A Genoa Staysail will have more stay tension and would need lookig at a bit more carefully, but I never had any structural issues with the spinnaker staysail.

tsekul

Visit site
Just seen this thread,
When would you be thinking of using the staysail with the kite and Genoa .?

Can you use it for taking pressure out of the kite when the combination of wind strength and angle starts to get a bit tight. I’d like to have a play. Or is it purely more sail area when reaching

Thanks
T