Staying clear of big ships!

Wasco

Visit site
Moving east to west north of Cowes today we passed a very large tanker off our starboard side with a tug astern and the harbourmasters launch about 200m ahead. Knowing that we needed to keep well out of the way we headed north across its path about another 150m in front of the harbourmaster's boat at about 20 kts. As soon as we were dead ahead - so around 350m ahead of the ship - Harbour master stopped us and we were told to "get out of the channel". Need to have a dip into the col regs as obviously we were still too close but I think to stop us in the direct line of the ship was worse than letting us cross at 20kts but like I say will now go and check the regs!

Bilgediver

Visit site
Moving east to west north of Cowes today we passed a very large tanker off our starboard side with a tug astern and the harbourmasters launch about 200m ahead. Knowing that we needed to keep well out of the way we headed north across its path about another 150m in front of the harbourmaster's boat at about 20 kts. As soon as we were dead ahead - so around 350m ahead of the ship - Harbour master stopped us and we were told to "get out of the channel". Need to have a dip into the col regs as obviously we were still too close but I think to stop us in the direct line of the ship was worse than letting us cross at 20kts but like I say will now go and check the regs!

You are looking in the wrong book.....Nothing to do with colregs.....Tankers and navy ships in some harbour waters have a no go area around them under way and alongside check the harbour rules for the waters involved.

Seahope

Visit site

I had a similar experience a few weekends ago. The tug at the back confused me because I assumed that the big ship would be going backwards. I checked the physical chart after my experience and discovered that I was in a prohibited zone for large ships to turn with an exclusion zone of 1 kilometer in front of any big ship and 150 m from its sides. I was intending to pass about 500 m in front of the ship when the HM stopped me and gave me a b*******g. He must be sick and tired of stopping us amateurs and his patience must long ago have left him. At least I know now to pass to the rear next time.

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
Vessels over 150 metres are automatically allocated a "moving prohibited zone" extending 1000 metres ahead and 100 metres either side

I suggest if you intend sailing in the area under the jurisdiction of ABP Southampton that you familiarise yourself with the rules that apply regading the above and the "Precautionary area"

See Southampton notices to mariners

epervier

Visit site

From your description, it sounds like where they turn into thorn channel, as Vics states this is a precautionary area as well as a moving area around any vessel greater than 150 ml there is also a prohibition for any vessel under 20 ml from entering this area.

I know, only because I got a B0llicking for doing the same:eek:

Last edited:

Firefly625

Visit site
Vessels over 150 metres are automatically allocated a "moving prohibited zone" extending 1000 metres ahead and 100 metres either side

I suggest if you intend sailing in the area under the jurisdiction of ABP Southampton that you familiarise yourself with the rules that apply regading the above and the "Precautionary area"

See Southampton notices to mariners

the Solent is a very busy place, for vessels over 150 metres its a nightmare, especially during the summer. the moving prohibited zone protects them and you, as VicS states, do familiarise yourself with the rules that apply to the Precautionary area....

But also don't underestimate the speed of the the Red Jet 's, they are not over 150 meters... in fact they are only 32m, but they don't half move quick... and quite often they don't use the channel... and when one of those is bearing down you always feel you must be in the wrong... why is that? also FYI the red funnel ferry's are 93m so also do not have the same precautionary area as those 150m+

oldharry

Visit site
VicS is right - there is a specific 'moving no go zone' ahead of any large vessel in those waters. There is a good chance you were not even visible from the bridge of the tanker, and were in the 'blind area' ahead of him under his bows.

The tug astern is there to pull the ship's stern round safely as it negotiates what is for them an extremely tight turn off Cowes, and to help it manoever or slow down in to the bend, as ship like that may need to be travelling 8 or 10 knots through the water before its rudder becomes fully effective.