Startron - Diesel Bug Treatment?

stevd

Visit site
Over the weekend, I bought a bottle of the Startron Enzyme Diesel additive as I have a bit of diesel bug. There is a thin layer of slime at the bottom of my tank. I bought this as it was the only one in the chandlers. I thought that this was the same as Soltron? Which is meant to breakdown the bug slime so that it can be burnt off in the combustion process.

I was dubious about buying it, as it didn't mention it on the bottle, and I have not found such claims any more on the website of Starbrite. There is the claim on the Soltron. I have also since seen the review PBO did a while back testing a few of the products, and Startron didn't seem to fair very well at all. Has anyone successfully treated diesel bug with Startron at all? Or should I be looking to order some Marine 16 Diesel Bug Treatment?

Could I add the Marine 16 to the tank as well as the Startron? I know this would render the Startron useless as the Marine 16 is a biocide and Startron is enzymes. But if the Startron is useless, perhaps this would be the way forwards.

Also, how long does the treatment usually take to work, is it usually quite quick?

Many thanks

Steve

pvb

Visit site
I used to use Soltron and Startron. Being enzyme-based, they tend to dissolve the slimy glutinous stuff, leaving little black flakes which don't block filters as badly. However, despite adding the stuff religiously ever time I topped up the tank, I found after some years that signs of the bug re-appeared. I then started using other biocides, including Marine 16, and what I now do is vary the make of additive regularly.

There's no reason why you shouldn't add Marine 16 as well as Startron.

tidclacy

Visit site
Had the same problem with Startron and used Marine 16 which worked a treat, I am sure you will be able to add it now but I am sure experts will be along soon to confirm/deny.

srah1953

Visit site
I'm sure there was a discussion here a long time ago in which it was stated that Soltron and Startron are the same. I was using Startron for quite a while when I re-read what it says on the label and subsequently on the Startron website. There is no mention anywhere that Startron kills diesel bug. It helps stabilise fuel, breaks down stuff, etc but not kill diesel bug. So I think you need to use both.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I didn't realise that there are two types of Marine 16, one is clear and the other is brown. I've always used the small dose of the clear stuff which works well and has cleared my traces of bug completely but this time I have bought the brown "Complete" version.

Not tried it yet and I don't really understand the difference but the guy in Force 4 said that if I had no bug then the brown Complete was the one to use. I drew a litre from both tank drains a few weeks ago and both were totally clear so I poured it back in.

Richard

pvb

Visit site
I didn't realise that there are two types of Marine 16, one is clear and the other is brown. I've always used the small dose of the clear stuff which works well and has cleared my traces of bug completely but this time I have bought the brown "Complete" version.

Not tried it yet and I don't really understand the difference but the guy in Force 4 said that if I had no bug then the brown Complete was the one to use. I drew a litre from both tank drains a few weeks ago and both were totally clear so I poured it back in.

The clear version is biocide, to kill diesel bug. The brown version has a little biocide in it, plus various fuel additives to supposedly improve performance.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
The clear version is biocide, to kill diesel bug. The brown version has a little biocide in it, plus various fuel additives to supposedly improve performance.

That's a bit worrying. It's the biocide I'm interested in rather than the supposed "performance improvement". Perhaps I should have stuck with the clear version?

Looking at the amount of the brown version you are supposed to use (a lot more), I don't think there will be much of a price difference in the end.

Which do you use PVB?

Richard