Starting Out

G

I'm sure the question has been asked many times before but could someone please point me in the right direction for information on buying and owning a motor boat.

I know this sounds like quite a large generalisation but the kind of info I need is:

What are the typical annual costs
Are there any obvious pitfalls
Are moorings easy to find (cost?)
What sort of depreciation can you expect
Is charter/hire practical/achievable to offset running costs

I'm looking for a boat around 30-35ft and would consider an older model (back to say late 80's, early 90's) and would like to have it moored in the med.

Perhaps someone knows of an article/FAQ that would answer some of these queries or someone has been through a similar process recently

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Harvey

tcm

Visit site
Re: hi

Yes, lots of stuff been posted hereabouts. The "search" buton at the top will haul up only those with (say) med AND charter innem, and so on, proble worth a look.

for that size of boat incl mooring bit of fixing but no fuel or depeciation I'd say under 10k. But make sure you have the 10k, cos flights etc take it a lot further.

Not sure charter will be realy great for 10-year old boat - they want them newer. Als, they mostly wantthem in August, when you can charter out anything, even a bathtub.

What abt charter yourself - or have u tried this? I don't think it worth it buy a med boat unless you use it 6+ weeks per year -less than this, charter best, cept of course it's"yours".

There is space BUT it varies. in majorca, frexample, huge pressure, especially in Puerto Portals, but more space available in Club de mar, nowhere near as trendyand bit of a car park. Likewise, in sth of france, "named" places to east more popular than le Lavandou and westwards.

Perhasp a good plan is to buy here for season 1, then truck it down once you know all about the boat. For a first-timer, you get loads more experience in uk channel waters, boating here much tiougher really, tides fog, shit weather. Tighter mooring spaces in med, looser spaces here, so easier in the uk marina, better experience out at sea, n my humble opinion (imho)

cheers

G

Re: hi TCM

Inclined to agree about buying first in UK,and gaining much needed experience in our unpredictable channel
(tides,weather etc) being thrown in the deep end as it were.
I have had a cruiser for one year plus on south coast and have done as described, also taken ICC day
skip etc. We are going over to Empuriabrava in March to look at properties, with berths on canal,
then I would look at different boat out there. Majorca berths difficult to come by 30,000 boats looking
at 20,000 berths as someone told me. Also berths are cheaper in Spain.

cneighbour

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Hi, Aitch, to answer questions in order
Reckon on a rough average of 10% of the boat value per year
Pitfalls? How long have you got. Suggest you read forum
Moorings. Solent/popular Med spots-difficult. Cost maybe £300/m/year or more. Scotland, they pay you
Depreciation-see thread above
Charter difficult for older boat

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Harvey,

Have you tried using the search tools on these forums. If not, try some keyword searches to get access to any relevant comments made over past eight months or so.

Also try the search tools on the bottom right of the bottom nav bar to check out the rest of the site. And the 'Buying a boat' section on left of bottom nav which has some useful links.

When you find out where you have individual specific questions to ask, post them one at a time here and I'm sure you'll get some good help amongst the bluff and bluster.

Good luck.

Associate Publisher ybw.com websites kim_hollamby@ipcmedia.com

rodbin

Visit site
Don't count the costs don't look for pitfalls don't worry about depreciation. Just buy one. Bought my first with a loan from the bank when we did not have carpet on the stairsa t home. There is no sense in buying a boat. Just loads of fun.
But put it in the Med, there, boaters are boaters if they have rag and sticks or polluting plastics. And its cheaper
PS I am not biassed but do have a lovely fairline targa 36 for sale... in the med!!
Enjoy

rodneyb1647