Starter woes

misterjenkins

Visit site
The starter on our old beta 20 is playing up and I'm wondering if anyone can help diagnose the issue.

When trying to start, the starter turns, but doesn't engage the engine at all. You can clearly hear the starter spinning, but no sound of the engine turning over.

This first happened right after we shut the engine off due to an overheat alarm (caused by limescale buildup in the heat exchanger) not sure if that's related or just coincidence.

Any ideas?

VicS

Visit site
The starter on our old beta 20 is playing up and I'm wondering if anyone can help diagnose the issue.

When trying to start, the starter turns, but doesn't engage the engine at all. You can clearly hear the starter spinning, but no sound of the engine turning over.

This first happened right after we shut the engine off due to an overheat alarm (caused by limescale buildup in the heat exchanger) not sure if that's related or just coincidence.

Any ideas?
Odd. I'd expect it to be a pre-engage type . If so the mechanical gubbins that engage the pinion with the ring gear need looking at.
If its an inertia type (unlikely unless it is very old) the battery SOC or condition of the electrics need lookin into unless you are certain it is spinning at its normal speed. if it is then the Bendix may not be sliding freely along the shaft needing cleaning and very lightly oiling.
Getting it looked at by an Auto-electrician might be the best way forward if you don't want to DIY

Refueler

Visit site
There are two things I do when starters fail to engage but you hear the solenoid click .. starter spin ...

1. Make sure battery is full charged.
2. Make sure all connectors such as battery clamps, earth strap / positive cable to solenoid - to starter etc are all clean and tight.

If it still doesn't engage etc - then:

Remove starter and take it to Auto Electrician to check out.

misterjenkins

Visit site
Useful checklist, thanks.

There are two things I do when starters fail to engage but you hear the solenoid click .. starter spin ...

1. Make sure battery is full charged.
2. Make sure all connectors such as battery clamps, earth strap / positive cable to solenoid - to starter etc are all clean and tight.

If it still doesn't engage etc - then:

Remove starter and take it to Auto Electrician to check out.

Refueler

Visit site
Useful checklist, thanks.

I have lost count of number of times I've cleaned up earth connection on engine ... remade positive cable to starter ... when engine has failed to start. The dreaded solenoid CLUNK and no start !

Its a bad environment that we just carry on ignoring how corrosive / aggressive it is to cable connections etc.

peteK

Visit site
Remove the starter motor and grease the part that shoots out and engages with the ring gear on engine as VicS says.

VicS

Visit site
Remove the starter motor and grease the part that shoots out and engages with the ring gear on engine as VicS says.
Very lightly oil I said but that is in the very unlikely event that it is an inertia type

There are numerous points to lubricate in a pre-engage type

Starter motor lubrication points.jpg

Refueler

Visit site
I know VicS post shows page saying grease ... but I'm not a fan of grease except in stern seals .. on other - grease can end up holding salt etc ... so I prefer a reasonable oil periodically ... which tends not to hold salt / crud etc.

But that's me ...

Stemar

Visit site
I know VicS post shows page saying grease ... but I'm not a fan of grease except in stern seals .. on other - grease can end up holding salt etc ... so I prefer a reasonable oil periodically ... which tends not to hold salt / crud etc.

But that's me ...
The problem is that you have to remove the starter and dismantle it to lubricate it. Not something most of us would want to do on a regular basis.

FWIW, I managed to burn one of these starters out because the starter key got stuck in the start position, and I didn't realise it until I smelt smoke. Going to an auto electrician, it was an ouch, but not a heart attack price.

Refueler

Visit site
The problem is that you have to remove the starter and dismantle it to lubricate it. Not something most of us would want to do on a regular basis.

FWIW, I managed to burn one of these starters out because the starter key got stuck in the start position, and I didn't realise it until I smelt smoke. Going to an auto electrician, it was an ouch, but not a heart attack price.

I agree .. but luckily my starters are not so bad to get at ... and if they are coming off - that means they are off to to the Auto Shop !!