Starter motor

Gwylan

Visit site
We have Volvo 2003, 1988 vintage and the starter has died. I've decided to replace the whole unit and hope that it will last another 20 years.

Should I go new or refurb?
Should I buy a unit on a boaty site [ and pay the price] or get one from a car parts site?

Anyone got hints, advice, warnings?

We have identified a Valeo replacement part as D6RA40 or D6RA11 - cannot easily find what the difference is between these 2 part numbers. Any ideas?

P

Peegee

Starter Motor

I have a 2002 and the starter died a couple of years ago. Given that a brand new one would cost somewhere in the region of £250+ I did not hesitate taking it to a local auto electric repairers. Turns out he had one he could exchange for me...as he refurbished them for a local volvo agency ! I think it cost about £125 (receipt on my boat) and of course it is still fine....Point being, that if you go to a "marine" centre , chances are that it was overhauled by your local auto firm anyway, just your paying a premium.

William_H

Visit site
Starter motors

These are pretty much tractor technology. About the only thing that can wear or go wrong is the brushes assuming that the drive mechanism and solenoid are OK. Corrosion/rust will be the biggest problem. If you can dismantle it then it is very likely the problem will be obvious. All this assuming you are sure it is the starter itself and not the wiring battery etc. failing all that remove it and take to an auto electrician. They can fix what is wrong. The rest of it should last for ever. good luck olewill

nautibull

Visit site
After being quoted £400 for a recon starter motor by our local dealer I took the dead unit to a auto electrician who identified it as identical to one from a Volvo D?? car but with, I think, 13 teeth instead of 11 teeth on drive spindle.
He changed the spindle and total replacement cost for a new starter was £125 including VAT.
Another boat owner lost a tooth on his starter and asked the dealer for a replacement but was told they could not be replaced and he would have to buy a recon unit. Auto electrician replaced gears and charged £25 + vat with next day delivery.

I do wonder how Volvo get away with it.

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net

Not just Volvo, but Volvo dealers.

As all have been saying, Auto Electrical is the place to go.

I needed my VP2003 alternator output voltage "upped" a bit, as output on newer engines now is higher than when my engine was built. £25 and now charges like a dream - and no problem with overcharging the batteries.

Bilgediver

Visit site
We have Volvo 2003, 1988 vintage and the starter has died. I've decided to replace the whole unit and hope that it will last another 20 years.

Should I go new or refurb?
Should I buy a unit on a boaty site [ and pay the price] or get one from a car parts site?

Anyone got hints, advice, warnings?

We have identified a Valeo replacement part as D6RA40 or D6RA11 - cannot easily find what the difference is between these 2 part numbers. Any ideas?

I believe Volvo modified the starter at some point to improve turnover speed and starting. This was possibly done by changing the gear ratio or changing to a geared starter. I expect this info re the part numbers is available from a Volvo parts shop .

Here is some of the story.

http://www.mareng.co.uk/volvo-penta-valeo-starter-motor-a10020groe-p-762.html

GrahamM376

Visit site

Easy, many people have more money than sense and are prepared to pay silly prices. Others are under the false impression that spare parts for engines are make specific, they don't realise that engine builders in many cases use off-the-shelf standard parts, readily available from other sources.

VicMallows

Visit site
As already suggested, it is highly likely that it just needs new brushes.

My nearest Lucas centre happily spent quite some time identifying suitable brushes and ordered them in for next day (" we don't carry many brushes in stock because so few individuals can be bothered these days "). Cost: £3.75.

Well worth an hour or so of your time?

Vic

electrosys

Boston - gateway to the North Sea (and bugger all
Visit site
I'd be inclined to first discover WHY it had died, before taking any further action. You'd be kicking yourself for exchanging a starter motor, when it was the solenoid which had failed (for example).

A friend had a cruise ruined recently, when his starter motor refused to turn. On return to base, the problem turned out to be the brush springs, which had rusted through and given up the ghost. A few pence quickly solved the problem. He now carries a spare set.

Gwylan

Visit site
Volvo parts, prices and paint

I am in shock what they dare to ask and what we sometimes pay.

A recon is on the cards, the existing unit has not been helped by the fact that the heat exchanger has been dripping salty water on it for some time. Really a lot of rust and crud about the place.

Found that the equivalent Valeo unit is also for a number of vehicles and as usual much cheaper than the Volvo bit - makes the green paint very expensive

On the matter of paint has anyone got any experience of cleaning up and repainting their Volvo engine?

warrenmarkus1

Visit site
The Valeo D6RA family of starter motors were used in several application, however for the Volvo Penta 2000 series a unique model was developed.

Valeo were very helpful in identifying my motor after I sent them some photos, by giving me the Valeo part number (594100 IIRC) which was ordered and supplied by my local car spares shop

The Valeo D6RA40 cost me £128+VAT in 2008.

If your engine does not have a starting handle (like mine) then a reliable starter motor is essential.

To correct some posts, starter motor components do 'wear' (commutator contacts, bearings, solenoid contacts, etc) so I would only take it to a repair for a quote / assessment if it was in good working condition previously and this is the first case of problems.

FYI I have no connection with any of these companies.

Gwylan

Visit site
Volvo starter

The Valeo D6RA family of starter motors were used in several application, however for the Volvo Penta 2000 series a unique model was developed.

Valeo were very helpful in identifying my motor after I sent them some photos, by giving me the Valeo part number (594100 IIRC) which was ordered and supplied by my local car spares shop

The Valeo D6RA40 cost me £128+VAT in 2008.

If your engine does not have a starting handle (like mine) then a reliable starter motor is essential.

To correct some posts, starter motor components do 'wear' (commutator contacts, bearings, solenoid contacts, etc) so I would only take it to a repair for a quote / assessment if it was in good working condition previously and this is the first case of problems.

FYI I have no connection with any of these companies.

Thanks for that. It confirms what I've heard elsewhere. Could not be sure if it was the D6RA40 or the D6RA11.
We have a starting handle, which the previous owner made a point of giving me, but you cannot actually turn it because the actual engine compartment is in the way. So it's about as much use as a CD player to a seagull
Therefore I do need a really reliable starter and this one is probably the 1988 original, complete with some very unpleasant looking rust patches. Early attempts to get the brushes out were not encouraging..

Talbot

Visit site
If I was n your position, I would be visiting "Furneaux Riddel" in Portsmouth for this and preferably with the old one in my sweaty hands.

MrCramp

Visit site
Talk to these people, The Startermotor and Alternator Company

http://www.startermotor-alternator.co.uk/

They are good people to deal with. When our solenoid on an Volvo MD2B packed up the local Volvo agent said a new one did cost £187, but they were obsolete and they could not suggest any way we could get another solenoid.

The chap in their shop looked at the old one and said we have one but it is more of a man than our old one. He said they are not cheap.....£10 NEW!. he could have said £65 and I would have thanked him.

Cannot speak highly eniough about this company, got to be worth a phone call.

warrenmarkus1

Visit site
Yes they are a good lot - I used them several times when I lived in Plymouth many years ago.
Just make sure you get an original Valeo or brand named part, otherwise you will get an 'equivalent', which for me lasted a few months before the solenoid started to stick. I was able to return it and bought an orignal Valeo.

Painting the engine is easy when out of the boat!!
I had to rebuild mine in my shed and etch primed it while in clean bits. After cleaning off the blood, sweat and tears I sprayed it with the original Volvo paint (about £50 for 750ml) and it looked like new