Starter motor current

colinwcolclough

Visit site
Hi Guys,

Am rewiring an outboard powered boat and need to know how much current my starter motor is expected to draw in order to decide battery cable size. Engine is a 1987 70hp. I know it will vary due to instantaneous current and depending on things like how good compression is and oil viscosity etc, but a ball park figure would be good.

Many thanks,

Colin

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
My last engine, with an elderly 21hp inboard diesel drew approaching 200A...

Assuming your outboard is petrol, then the compression will be lower, but its a biggish engine at 70HP....

So agree with the above.... something in the same order as a decent car battery cable...

andy_wilson

Visit site
The important bit of the battery cable is usually part of the outboard power loom, has it failed? If so, get some the same diameter, but it will need to be stranded to allow the flexing that occurs on turning and tilting the engine. Might end up being engine manufacturers original stuff you need to buy.

The make of engine might have been useful in your posting. Not many 4 stroke 70hp engines around in 1987, are you sure it has oil to be viscous? or is is a 2 stroke, in which case commpression is effectively lower and therefore the cranking current and cable requirement will be less.