standing rigging question

Ardenfour

Visit site
Should cap shrouds be in line with the mast? Chainplates on mine are around 6" aft of the mast step. Masthead sloop, two lower afts, single babystay forward. The mast step has been repaired previously, so there is a possibility it has been put back in a different position. I'm taking it all apart as water has destroyed the encapsulated timber below the mast step.

William_H

Visit site
I would nopt find it unusual that the chain plates are 6inches aft of abeam the mast. As already said the spreaders must have a little sweep aft to meet the line of the cap shrouds.
It is perhaps more important to have the intermediate or lower shrouds going to chain plates aft to counteract the pull forward of the inner forestay. Some builders simply find it easier to use the same chain plate for caps and intermediates.
It is not so important for the cap shrouds to be aft because you have the back stay to pull against the forestay. Unless of course you don't have a backstay. It all works together. olewill

VicS

Visit site
I am pretty sure that your boat originally had cap shrouds and 1 pair of lowers (ie one either side) but no baby stay.

If that is the case then she would have been rigged with the cap shrouds on the aftermost chain plates (like my boat is).

I suspect the baby stay has been added later in which case the lower shrouds should go on the aftermost chain plates. (one might have expected the cap shrouds and spreaders to have then be completely squared off with the mast, but apparently not)

I expect you will find on some boats a 2nd pair of lowers has ben added rather than a baby stay. One pair then going to extra chain plates forward of the mast while the others go to the aftermost chainplates instead of the caps.

In short then with a baby stay fitted the lowers go aft!