Stand alone Aircon

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Some years back we were sweating it out in Barcelona so went out and bought a stand alone unit. (Carrier) It was brilliant!
Quite a big beastie and only just got though the cabin door (of an Sealine S37) worked off shore power which wasn’t metered.
Of course it has to be vented which was a bit of a codge job through a window.
After a couple of years had a proper a/c system fitted and the old beast now gets dragged into our bedroom at home on those rare sticky nights.

Normal marina swell didn‘t bother it and I don’t understand your angle constraint.

Last edited:

DAKA

Visit site
Has anyone used a portable stand alone aircon unit onboard. Do they work at an angle or with movment?
Hi Bendyone,

I fitted a stand alone unit to our last boat and strapped it in place at the dinette..
it worked really well ( vented out the porthole)
the weight is significant

when I stopped using it on the boat I used it in my office for several years.
no window to vent it to so it was vented into a large store cupboard so you could vent one into bilges or engine room for occasional use

Bigplumbs

Visit site
The heat you extract has to de chucked out somehow. If you don’t it will just be a circle and achieve nothing

bendyone

Visit site
Hi Bendyone,

I fitted a stand alone unit to our last boat and strapped it in place at the dinette..
it worked really well ( vented out the porthole)
the weight is significant

when I stopped using it on the boat I used it in my office for several years.
no window to vent it to so it was vented into a large store cupboard so you could vent one into bilges or engine room for occasional use
Thanks for that.

bendyone

Visit site
There are some new ones out check out Ecoflow

That looks good but expensive and only 5000BTU out put.

I think I have space for something like this

Buy electriQ EcoSilent 10500 BTU Smart Portable Air Conditioner with Air Purifier and Heat Pump from Aircon Direct

which would fit in the space oppersite the toilet, ( Moody 30 ) vented out though a deck vent and ducted each way. Has the advantage of heating and well as cooling while in the berth. 3kw of heat for 1 kw of electric.

Hurricane

Visit site
I'm afraid it is all about power - again
I have 5 fixed AC units on board to serve different parts of the boat. The biggest one (half of the saloon) is 30,000 BTU/hr. The smallest one (the forward cabin) is 10,000 BTU/hr
So, I guess that the dubious 5,000BTU/hr of the Ecoflow won't be enough.
You could check properly by doing some heat gain calcs but remember that we are in a wet environment so there will be a bigger than usual latent load to overcome before you can reduce any air temperature.

I see that the Ecoflow is about a grand. Double that and you are close to the cost on a proper marine unit.

Other threads that may be of interest