Staining wood - which stain?

lesweeks

Visit site
My cabin coamings, from which I'm stripping a thick ugly epoxy coating, are a very pale mahogany and I'd like to make the colour a little richer before appying varnish. I've got my varnish (Le Tonks) so I don't want to apply a varnish which contains a stain (I hear they're a bit 'muddy' anyway) so I'm looking for a stain that goes on first.

I've only ever used spirit stain in the past (on furniture) - Coloron I think - but I wonder if there's any alternatives that you folk might recommend.

I'd also appreciate some advice on how to best apply the stain to achieve an even effect - rag, brush sponge etc.

Poignard

Visit site
I have used Van Dyck crystals dissolved in water to stain furniture and it produces a beautiful result on mahogany, much richer than Colron stains etc., but I have never tried it on a boat so I don't know how well it would stand up to being exposed to sunlight. Obviously the wood must be well-varnished to protect the stained timber but that would apply whatever kind of stain you used.

If you 'Google van Dyck crystals' you can find plentyof information about it.

Seanick

www.nickgates.co.uk
Since we have run out of interstain we now use Blackfriers Mahogany from Brewers.
Dispo gloves and brush it on, rag of a few mins later. Looks quite natural and stops the blonding.
Downside-on toerails and rubbing strakes it takes a bit longer to touch up as you have to restain locally.

fergie_mac66

Visit site
Van Dyck crystals

Van Dyck crystals do make a good rich colour but the are not uv resistant, and will quickly fade . Lot of things go on in with the colour of wood . uv fades , and oxidisation causes darkening , so micro porous finishes can darken the wood under a bit. uv can cause patches where light hits direct .. Anyway I digress..

I recommend rustins better than colron much richer colours they tend to dry a bit faster not much, but a bit more thoroughly

http://www.rustins.eu/Details.asp?ProductID=817

fergie_mac66

Visit site
Since we have run out of interstain we now use Blackfriers Mahogany from Brewers.
Dispo gloves and brush it on, rag of a few mins later. Looks quite natural and stops the blonding.
Downside-on toerails and rubbing strakes it takes a bit longer to touch up as you have to restain locally.

Agree they are better than colron aswell

oldfrank

Visit site
Interstain Mahogany stain is by far the best. The good news is that whilst it's no longer available in the UK, it's readily available from continental chandlers over the internet. My last three cans came in from a German chandler on the Baltic coast, quickly and easily. Damn silly - they make the stuff here.

sammie

Visit site
grainraising

vandyk crystals are not colour fast, best bet is to go with the rustins apply by brush and cloth, this is a non grain raising stain and will dry on a good day in a couple of hours:)

Romeo

Visit site
According to Boris Johnson, Rhubarb juice is what you need to give your wood a rosy hue. So he said when opening the rhubarb rubbed velodrome for the London Olympics. :)

Anyone tried this?

Last edited: