Stained gelcoat

dignity

Visit site
Just in the process of renovating a GRP cruiser, around the waterline and bows there is a yellowish stain presumably from years of salt water. Usually I use Farecla G3 this isn't touching it. Does anybody out there know any other products good for this job??

<hr width=100% size=1>

maha

Visit site
hi

Yep the stain around your hull is from diesel or oil in the water around were your boat used to sit...

Try a product called wipe out from your local swindlery (chandlery) its a powder that you apply to your wet hull and it really works your baby will be looking good as new.. as mine does

regards malc (maha)

<hr width=100% size=1>

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Try oxalic acid, mix with wallpaper paste to stop it running. Cheap and effective, but be careful as it is poisonous.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Evadne

Visit site
If you can't get hold of real oxalic acid from your friendly pharmacist, more expensive Yottie products like StarBrite rust stain remover use the same substance.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Aja

Visit site
We use Y10 jelly for the hull - doesn't run off and White Out for the decks.

Anything that includes Oxalic Acid will do.

Wait 10 minutes then wash off. Rubber gloves are recommended.

Donald

Ps Farelca is an abrasive!
<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Donald_Beaton on 24/02/2004 15:41 (server time).</FONT></P>

FlyingSpud

Visit site
I got some once, and basically it is Oxilic Acid in paste at some barmy price.

Just use Oxilic Acid, and mix it into a paste, if you have trouble getting it as a chemical, go to a caravan shop and buy a caravan cleaner that contains it, it will be half the price as the same product in the Chandlery. As said before, paint it on, leave it for about 15 mins and then wash it off. You will be amazed at how clean it will come up. For a really posh finish use farcela, but say F6, for a rub down then polish and wax, it will then look like new.

<hr width=100% size=1>

pmorris

Visit site
If you look in the Yellow Pages for a Chemical supplier. You'll find one that sells Oxalic Salts. It's used in industry. I bought 5kg for a tenner, enough to last a life time. But do be careful its quite dangerous until mixed, as in don't even smell it!

<hr width=100% size=1>

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Mine Got! All these expensive products.
Just pop into your local supermarket and buy a bottle of bog standard Harpic liquid toilet cleaner.
Put it on the stain neat with a sponge, you will think nothing is happening. Wait 5 mins and wipe the area over with a damp sponge. Miracle of miracles the brown stain just disappears.

PS Wear gloves
<hr width=100% size=1>
ladybug_zigzag_md_wht.gif
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by NigelB on 25/02/2004 00:30 (server time).</FONT></P>

tross

Visit site
I have been watching this subject and the cleaning of water tanks go on for the last couple of month with some interest as I need to do both this year. I have finally mangaged to get my hands on some Oxalic acid ( fairly easy ) and Chloramine-T (difficult! ) but what concentrations do I use for each?

<hr width=100% size=1>