ST60 Multi Display and NMEA

gerry99

www.freedom.co.uk
I am hoping there may be a Raymarine ST60 guru out there in this forum who can answer a question. My ST60 Multi display has NMEA IN and NMEA OUT. Can anyone tell me whether or not the NMEA OUT sentences are a combination of the NMEA sentences going into the unit with their own internally generated ones, or whether it just outputs its own SeaTalk sourced data? It displays messages sent to the NMEA input such as Lat and Long and outputs its own data (Depth, Speed & Wind Speed etc) but does not appear to combine them on the NMEA OUT interface.

Many thanks in advance

MountainGoat

Visit site
This seems to have come up before. The answer appears to be "a bit of both":

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?358537-Raymarine-ST60-Multi-does-NMEA-get-passed-to-Seatalk

If you want all the stuff on SeaTalk to be available on NMEA0183, the Raymarine chart plotters do that. The ST60 helm instruments don't seem to have been designed to be convertors. Caveat: I am not a SeaTalk guru by any means, but I have messed about with this stuff and extensively rewired my (almost entirely Raymarine) boat network.

earlybird

Visit site
I've got an ST60 Graphic. I don't think that unsupported NMEA passes through and that seems to be implied by the wording of Commissioning Guide.
Can you tee into the NMEA bus away from the ST60?

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
This might help:

Operating with NMEA
The ST60 Multi instrument can provide data communication between SeaTalk and NMEA when the appropriate connections are made, and supports NMEA
0183 compatible products.

SeaTalk to NMEA 0183
Data from SeaTalk is transmitted to the NMEA output port every 2 seconds. The data types and NMEA headers are:
Data NMEA Header
Depth DBT
Heading, deviation and variation HDG
Magnetic heading HDM
Water temperature MTW
Water speed and heading VHW
Wind speed and angle MWV

NMEA to SeaTalk
The ST60 Multi instrument decodes certain data from NMEA when available, and if the respective data is not already present on SeaTalk, transmits the decoded data to SeaTalk. The data types and NMEA headers are:

Display settings Illumination
When the instrument is first powered up, the display illumination is set to its lowest (courtesy) level, to facilitate initial access to the keys. To adjust the level of display illumination:
1. Hold down the key for approximately one second, to enter the illumination-adjust mode.
2. There are four preset illumination levels. Momentarily press the key to cycle through these levels until you reach the level you want.
3. Press any other key to leave the illumination-adjust mode.
Note: The display will also return to normal operation 7 seconds after the last key press.

Data NMEA Header
XTE, Waypoint identifier, Bearing & distance to waypoint APB
Bearing & distance to waypoint BWC
Bearing & distance to waypoint rhumb line BWR
Latitude and longitude GLL
Time, latitude, longitude, satellites tracked & HDOP GGA
Cross track error MWV or XTE
Navigational information RMB
Time, date, lat, long, COG & SOG RMC
COG and SOG VTG

Richard

gerry99

www.freedom.co.uk
Folks,

Thanks for your feedback and the references to other material, it is appreciated. You have answered my question which is that whilst the ST60 might accept and display some NMEA data input to it on the NMEA In port, it doesn't combine them with the "SeaTalk" generated data and then re-transmit them on the NMEA Out port.

Many thanks