st2000 bullet proof

Visit site
Hi having bought a st2000+ with a 3 year garentee I now am in the situation of 2 units failing
all covered by warranty
if my next replacement fails after the warranty I'm left with a dead pup
looking at the circuit diagram if I fix the unit inside the boat and using a second unit outside the boat with only the drive motor and contol buttons I only need a 5 core cable plus 2 heveier for the motor
thoughts please

VicMallows

Visit site
I think you are saying that you suspect the failures may have been caused by water ingress into the electronics? .... and that you are thinking of mounting the electronics inside in the dry, with only the actuator (and maybe push-buttons) exposed to the elements?

Probably a very good idea if you are out of warranty options.

I have the really ancient original 2000 (separate conical control unit with rotary compass knob on top). I had endless problems caused by corrosion when the close-connected control unit was mounted in the cockpit near the actuator (as per instructions). I eventually separated the units and mounted the control unit inside the hatchway in the dry. No more trouble, and still going strong at 30years old.

Pete7

Visit site
Wouldn't it be easier to fit a cover over the ST2000. There were some for sale on e bay a while back and Angus McDoon on here was thinking of a production run of them a while back.

Pete

Spyro

Visit site
Wouldn't it be easier to fit a cover over the ST2000. There were some for sale on e bay a while back and Angus McDoon on here was thinking of a production run of them a while back.

Pete

Long thin plastic bag works well. You can still see an use the buttons. I use the ones walking stick come in. my wife gets them at her work.

Visit site
Thanks for your replys
am now in Jersey going for britany coast from the medway
have wrapped my spare auto helm up in cling film as suggested in another post
if the water is getting in through the pushing rod may look to fit a lip seal
come on raymarine it's not rocket science
thanks folk's

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
Wrap it in clingfilm

and always unwrap it and dry it out after EVERY trip. Mine used to come home and go in the airing cupboard to dry.

The one that died in Braye, went under the hand drier whilst opened up. It got going again and was replaced by Raymarine.

I eventually had a cover with window made up by a friend.

The St1000/2000's must be as cheap as chips to make because Raymarine seem to replace an awful load each year.

As above.... why oh why can't they be improved???

Now I have a 4000 with control head in dry area.

S.

G12

Visit site
I have a cover on mine with a transparent window in it. Made to measure. Bought on ebay about four years ago for about £15 if I remember. I'm always glad it's there, the unit never gets wet.

PhillM

Visit site
I have a cover on mine with a transparent window in it. Made to measure. Bought on ebay about four years ago for about £15 if I remember. I'm always glad it's there, the unit never gets wet.

I really could do with one of those, they don't seem to be on eBay anymore. Off to a sailmaker unless another option appears.

Sybarite

Visit site
Hi having bought a st2000+ with a 3 year garentee I now am in the situation of 2 units failing
all covered by warranty
if my next replacement fails after the warranty I'm left with a dead pup
looking at the circuit diagram if I fix the unit inside the boat and using a second unit outside the boat with only the drive motor and contol buttons I only need a 5 core cable plus 2 heveier for the motor
thoughts please

My ST2000 died two months out of warranty for the same reason. Are other brands subject to the same problem?

colvic987

Visit site
after years of toing and froing from the repairers I ditched my st2000+ and bought a spx5, the main box in the saloon and ram out in the cockpit.

no problems since and unit can be relied on. even got £100 for the st2000+ on a claimback offer from raymarine.