SSB

dias

Visit site
Hi
I am new to the forums, and still in the dream stage of getting away from it all, that said, I would like to get conversant with other aspects of liveabord like SSB.
Is it possible to buy a second hand set and rig it up with a 12v supply and just listen in / connect to PC etc without licence etc, what set would do the job and could be used on future boat.
Thanks in advance

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
Re: SSB receive only

The most popular entry level set is the NASA Marine Electronics HP3M which comes with weatherfax software & PC serial connection lead. It runs on 12Vdc. Neat little set using very little current.

Steev Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>The above is, like any other post here, only a personal opinion

snowleopard

Visit site
there are quite a few ssb receivers on the market in neat little packages. no need to go for a full r/t with tuner, earth & antenna till you're ready.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
If you buy receiver only, you do not need the Long Range licence. If looking to go long distance, and intending to be able to transmit on HF, there is a lot of benefit from training as a radio ham (novice level).

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Hi,
I think its a real shame not to have a transeiver. It really adds to cruising in the med and the for rest of he world outside europe its almost an essential. Provides a way of keeping in touch and lots of info - the nets can be very useful and entertaining.

Inserting the two insulators in the back stay for the antenna is easy but the ground plate, unless your boat is steel, needs to be done next time you haul and it needs to be placed close to where your ATU (antenna tuner) is going to be inside the hull.

Frankly the only licence you need is for the set - and that comes along with the vhf/radar/iperb licence and costs no more.

As for an operators licence it really is hardly worth bothering with - I used coast radio staions for years when they were open and no operator ever asked me if I had a licence. When it comes down to it, the main qualification for a licence is to know how to send a mayday and as 2182 (HF version of 16 on VHF) is pretty well defunct - nobody listens or is required to why bother with getting an operators licence. You could only get in trouble for not having a licence if you abused the airways.. Other than hams I know of nobody with SSB who has an operators licence. When you have had a set for a while you may decide to do the ham licence so you can chat to other boat hams...
My Icom M750 is excellent but a bit expensive new and you must have an ATU as well. (you can get ham ones quite cheaply and get it adapted for upper side band).

<hr width=100% size=1>If you have time visit my web site
www.michaelbriant.com/sailing

davidbains

Visit site
Dias , I started with a Lowe HF150 receiver, occasionally they are available secondhand.
The cheapest new decent receiver is now the NASA set, OK for listening and Wefax.
However you can obtain a seconhand ICOM 706 Mk 11 for about £400 which is
a small quality HAM transceiver. The Ham licence is much easier to obtain
now Morse is no longer required. Many nets are on Ham frequencies but some are on
marine SSB frequencies, such as the morning med net on 8122Khz.
You need to decide whether you're happy just to receive or whether you definitely
intend to transmit later. And how much you want to spend!!

<hr width=100% size=1>Never knowingly overcanvassed!