SSB Pactor Modem to Icom 802

john_q

Visit site
I have been given (yes given) a Pactor PTC IIPro modem, with 3.2d firmware on it which I want to connect to an ICOM 802. It came with a RS232 cable and an audio cable with Din plugs on each end. I have tested the modem on an SSB belonging to someone who used a pactor and the modem works

As this is all new to me I have a couple of questions

1 Anyone know how to find out if it is Pactor 2 or 3?

2 Can anyone recommend someone in either the Essex/Suffolk or North London area who can help me getting it working i.e cables, Serial- USB connector, software and sailmail etc

mixmaster

Visit site
If I remember correctly when you fire up the airmail software it tells you software version etc.
In terms of setting it all up, the PDF manual from sailmail is pretty good. Dockside radio in the US sell some and simple manuals.

Bilgediver

Visit site
2 Can anyone recommend someone in either the Essex/Suffolk or North London area who can help me getting it working i.e cables, Serial- USB connector, software and sailmail etc

Do you know which radio it was connected up to in its previous life????

Icom use the din cable between radio and modem and this also powers the modem from the radio.

I believe the airmail or sailmail software should run it along with other HAm programs.

Various posts on these forums have suggested that not all serial to usb converters allow the laptop to see these via the USB port. Maybe a bit of searching here and elswhere will help. You might get more help on american livaboard and sailing forums as there are many Ham /sailors over the pond using these. I would also ask on those forms for the pin out on the modem Din socket if you do not have a manual as then it would be easy to check the cable you have or make one for your Icom.