springtime and teak decks

captainforbes

Visit site
What's the current best idea for rejuvenating teak decks? My best so far is Biological washing liquid applied to the geck with a mop, then lightly hosed/brushed off a while later. Easy and cheap, but matbe not the best? Any better ideas?

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Having admired the teak on another forumites boat, we have been having great success with Semco products from the USA. A two part cleaning system followed by a sealant. Its available from Onward Trading in UK whose customer services are truly appalling. If we could buy it anywhere else we would!

SQUIRRELS

Visit site
I now use boracol on my decks. Previously used wessex chemicals, 2 part, but now prefer boracol which is a surface biocide and timber preservative. Put it on, either spray or brush and leave it a few days, dry days mind. It's truly fantastic, eats the green, no scrubing what-so-ever.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
You've got a choice, either keep your decks looking bright and golden while wearing them slowly through, or accept their whitish grey appearance and gain a longer life.

Green moss can be removed with a thorough wash down with salt water, and a very gentle scrub across the grain with lots of salt water flowing around.

If you want to bleach stains out, many proprietary products use oxalic acid - that stuff which rhubarb contains - which is a good bleach for stain and rust removal and much cheaper. Rinse off after ten minutes.

If you want that nice gold colour, use a mild, flat abrasive pad and lots of elbow grease. The flat pad only wears the hard grain parts, and doesn't dig out the soft grain. But it still accelerates deck wear.

ccscott49

Visit site
Re: teak

K.J. Howells, Poole, they have a good selection, not cheap though! Mind you it's not cheap anywhere!