Spring has sprung...

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com
phew, winter is over! the Vernal whatsit has arrived today, the birds are tweating, the days are now longer than the nights, boats are going back in the water and my yacht insurance renewal lands on the door mat this morning.

Only a 33 % increase ! hm, apparently due to the "events of September 11". Hmm, don't recal too many yachts being destroyed in that tragedy nor any subsequent Al Queda threats to destroy the marinas of the south coast...

Roger Holden
www.first-magnitude.co.uk

BarryD

Visit site
Come on Roger you're being a little naive here.

The insurance companies have made massive losses in business interruption payments etc.. following the 11th, the same company underwrites boats as well as other business - hence the increase. Also if you could find something to increase your charges by wouldn't you (some profiteering going on here maybe <G>)

Barry D.

IMHO & FWIW, NWGOI.

davel

Visit site
Re: Err no sorry <G>

Hum! I've obviously been misled by my old geography teacher!

I've just had a look at one tidal reference I have on my PC and it actually shows that sunset = sunrise +12 hours occured on the 18th March (sunrise 06:12, sunset 18:12).

It's a mystery!

Dave L.

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com
Apparently not. Radio 4 always harp on about it this time of year - debating when spring starts with idiots going on about when this or that flower appears or when lambs start morris dancing or whatever - then some dull boffin always phones in and pours cold water on all these lovely ideas by stating that the Vernal Exquinox is the start of spring and that this year it's the 20th... I think it was actually earlier last year.

My knowledge then wanes but I believe today the day and night are equal?

I'm pretty sure midsummer's day is always the 21st June and mid winter the 21st Dec.

Roger Holden
www.first-magnitude.co.uk