Spring clean - stainless props

Jimbo 22

Visit site
Looking for a little advice on the cleaning up my Bravo 3 Duo Props...

Have given them a good spray and scrub with prop cleaner purchased from Force 4, they still need a little something extra to remove all the crud.

A few threads of old suggest using Hydrochloric acid / good old ‘cementone’ brick cleaner, and a few suggesting that whilst this will clean them, the hydrochloric acid may also damage them...

What are the latest views on this? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Hot Property

Visit site
I cleaned my Verado prop and leg as it was encrusted with limescale having sat in the Thames for a few years. I didn't know the prop was stainless when I bought it - it was that thick.

Brick acid painted on with a brush is a good way to remove limescale/barnacles. It fizzes at first as it does its work then you need to apply more. I used 5 litres!!!

You can't go wrong for a fiver... https://www.toolstation.com/bostik-cementone-concentrated-mortar-brick-cleaner/p98902

mlines

www.sportsboat.org.uk
Brick cleaner and polish.

For the polishing I popped them to a local metal polishers. £40 the pair and they are so polished they stay in that condition all year as nothing sticks.

Here we had the wrong anodes fitted but thought a day or two in the water would not matter......
b2ap3_thumbnail_sized_Regal2250_IMG_20150726_151214.jpg

Quick dip in brick cleaner

b2ap3_large_sized_Regal2250_IMG_20150726_15303_20150726-150309_1.jpg

This is the result of the annual polish

IMG_20141112_214611.jpg

jrudge

Visit site
Don't try brick cleaner with a zinc anchor. I had an old one for the rib I inherited with the boat. Covered in scale.

Dipped in acid. Well chuffed! Looked amazing.

Until ..... about 5 minutes later when it started rusting before my eyes. Just as well a new one was only 12 Euro!

Acid is wonderful stuff

Assassin

Visit site
4 1/2" angle grinder and a surface conditioning pad does the trick very nicely, and I get the pads from work for free which is a bonus.

QBhoy

Visit site
Hi
On all the merc stainless performance props I’ve had...I use wonder wipes to get the crud off, then a wee polish with normal marine polish like megaures.
Go easy on the brick cleaner I’d say. These are precision machined with little tolerance for deviation...
They ain’t cheap either. Haha.

Fishtigua

Visit site
Brick Cleaner and a brush. Not gone wrong with that combo for the last 35 years.

For the really thick stuff, a green scratchy pad does come out.

On one boat, a hammer and chisel was needed to just find the bleedin' trim-tabs. Horses for courses, I guess.

QBhoy

Visit site
I supppse it’s each to their own...but I wouldn’t put a green scratchy pad anywhere near a stainless performance prop. Just me maybe.

QBhoy

Visit site
Oh you’re probably right. I just couldn’t do it, haha. It’s too bloody expensive my prop. spent too long trying to eek every inch of performance out her. I’d hate to scratch it