Sprayhood windows

pessimist

Visit site
I know I've seen threads on this subject in the past, but I'm damned if I can find one now.

The windows in both the sprayhood and cockpit enclosure are becoming less transparent than one would wish. They are some kind of flexible plastic. Is there a wonder cure or must they be replaced?

TIA

Colin

sailorman

Visit site
I know I've seen threads on this subject in the past, but I'm damned if I can find one now.

The windows in both the sprayhood and cockpit enclosure are becoming less transparent than one would wish. They are some kind of flexible plastic. Is there a wonder cure or must they be replaced?

TIA

Colin

Strataglas doesnt bloom but it is expensive

Laurie

Visit site
Interesting...My windows have gone slightly opaque on their bottom edges after only one season (brand new hood). I have tried Renovo several times as many have endorsed it....but all to no avail.
Have asked advice of manufacturers...........

sailorman

Visit site
Interesting...My windows have gone slightly opaque on their bottom edges after only one season (brand new hood). I have tried Renovo several times as many have endorsed it....but all to no avail.

Guapa had the same thing happen, the supplier noticed it on a marina visit & changed then foc without Guapa asking ( Dolphin Sails)

Allergy

Live in East London, UK. Boat in Portsmouth Harbou
Visit site

TIA
How old is the sprayhood?
I had mine replaced when it was 14 years old.
It becomes inflexible/brittle with age but at £30 per window (for 3 windows)was well worth it.
I chose Arun Sails in Bosham but any sail maker who makes them should be able to help.
A car tonneau repairers might do so as well.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
There was a tip about this in PBO some time back. The miracle treatment was Pledge furniture polish. Our hood screen had gone very cloudy, mostly due to lying horizontally with Greek sunshine on it. The Pledge treatment has worked like a charm, transformed it.

Laurie

Visit site

Been told to expose the window to sunshine , by the manufacturer.......... so will do next week: I thought it was the sun that caused the fogging? Will also try the Pledge idea....

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Certainly seems to have been the sun that fogged ours. The forward screen unzips and is normally open, so it lies across the instrument pod where it is fully exposed to the sun. When the hood is down, vast majority of the time, the side windows are largely covered by the canvas and they remain in good condition.

greenalien

Visit site
Unfortunately, fogging of transparent PVC is usually the first sign that it's about to become brittle. Keeping the transparent material shielded from the sun will certainly prolong its life.

oldharry

Visit site
Some kinds of waterproofing spray will cause fogging. One application of Fabsil was enough to ruin mine which had previously lasted years Polishing out surface haze seems to be the only solution, but the Fabsil damage seems to go deeper and attempts at polishing made no difference at all.

Fox Morgan

Visit site
in winter, windows can fog because they absorb water. the platic used is a pvc type. put them in a warm area and they clear fairly quickly.
if not, if they stay foggy, then they are UV degraded and are on their way to needing replacement. they become brittle and crack easily when folding the cover.

window material isn't expensive and they are quickly and easily replaced. canvas usually outlives windows by at least double. so its quite normal to have to swap them out after a while.
I do window replacement for my club members in Essex, cost price is around 10quid a spray hood window. (i have my own machine and materials on board for my own repairs but help out my club mates) so expect to pay 20-40 at a big canopy maker/repairer local to you. if you were a club mate I'd do it for the cost a meal down the pub :)