Sports boat market decline? what can i do?

nickjh

Visit site
Hi all,

I have had my boat up for sale since mid summer and a few sniffs but nothing concrete.. due to personal circumstances I took £4k off the price (£34k originally) for a quick sale! I compared this to all the other boats on-line and it looked cheap, some 1998/99 searays for the same money or more, mine is 2001.. So what is up? Why can i not sell it?

Anyone else finding the same at this price level/boat type?

Cheers

Nick

trev

Visit site
Have you chased up any of the others for sale to see if they've been sold?
Is she petrol engined ? Some boats at my marina brokerage have been up for over a year - I guess you just have to be patient- a bit hard to do if you want to buy another boat, I have always found p/ex the best way to trade up. I know I've probably lost a few grand this way, but I got the boat I wanted when I wanted it.
Or are you getting out of the boating lark and wish to cut and run ?

nickjh

Visit site
Brokers have had a few calls, many have ended up going for new ones or "just looking".. Mostly just been quiet. Brokers are saying that it is across the board and be patient or give it away!

At the moment I want to cut and run from ownership until things settle.. i can charter a rib in the meantime to get my fix!

ValleyForge

Visit site
I sold my immaculate Searay 220 OV 6 months ago in a week. A windermere casualty, went to the south coast. Mind you it was 10 years old & priced to sell, hence a fraction of your price, but with minimal depreciation to me over several years ownership.Trailer helps, assuming yours is not much above 24'. Sport / Speed Boats are like cars, IMO, massive depreciation over the first years then levels out. These are, after all just expensive toys. Cruisers are maybe a bit better, with more value attached 'cos of the accomodation & hence more flexible & greater useage aspect ?
Answer - drop the price.

nickjh

Visit site
Hi,

It's a 27.5ft 4 berth, good spec american sports boat.. a little too big to trailer!.. Compared to other similar boats for sale it represents good value! Plus I have just dropped £4k off! I am now sub £30k for a 2001 good sized boat.. can't go much less surely?

gjgm

Visit site
location might be wrong, though not easy to do much about it. Probably nothing much will happen til the Spring sunshine now, but IF the boat is about right at £30k, then at 5-6 years old, it wont be losing that much year to year. You could try marking it down another 15pct, just to see if any interest-you can always say it's sold- but its probably better to wait til Spring when minds are turning to being out on the water rather than beside the log fire. Do Essexboatyards still buy? Might give you a clue as to where you can dump it if you have to.

DAKA

Visit site
If you have it for sale at £30k ask yourself if you would accept £25k if offered today.
If you would then reduce the price to £25K and open the doors to a whole new set of buyers.

I sold my last boat in a week and waited two weeks for a cheque but I didnt get what other similar boats were advertised at.

Make sure it is clean with no personal effects on board.

Well done for resisting the chance for a free add here, all that would do is to encourage some jokers to pick fault /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Is it this boat....

http://ybw.yachtworld.com/core/uk/listin...p;&ybw=true

If so, as a potential buyer this would concern me.....

Mechanical and Electrical

Engine and Leg service in March ‘04
Anodes & anti-foul in July ‘04

Also.....

Max Speed: 32knots

She has just been anti-fouled and serviced for the new season and hit 39knots last weekend!!!

Serviced or not?
How fast?

Also, make sure the bog doesn't smell of wee.

Pete

nickjh

Visit site
mmm! thats her.. But clearly wrong dates - Will mail them.
All serviced and up to date actually - anodes were yesterday. She will do 32/34 knots with a full tank and 4 passengers for a weekend.. but have had 39knots coming back from Lymington, 2 up with half a tank and with tide! :) GP reading.

Thanks for pointing out the errors and contraditions! Will sort it..

Bogs had its moments, but is ok now! I hope! :)

Not been down for a while, so will stay on her next weekend and remove personal stuff and give her a run. Also getting valeted next week..

Would boatshed be a better bet?

Daka - I do hope you are not suggesting this is just a publicity stunt?? I just need some help from my fellow boaters! info already coming in! so thank you..

Cheers

Nick

ValleyForge

Visit site
Hi Nick, Ah - A big sport boat then, not the tiddlers we have up here !

If you have enquiries & views, but no offers then the marketing process is fine but the price / product is wrong. If you aren't achieving the former you won't get the latter. Web based ads get lots of enquiries initially, but also a lot of dross. But they do put ideas in minds that may not have actually formulated they want to spend £30k on a boat, ie useful at this time of year. A broker will only get to people who have made up their mind they want a fast boat & have some sort of budget in mind. Or at least thats my theory.
Trade up to a faster one with a part/X /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

DAKA

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Daka - I do hope you are not suggesting this is just a publicity stunt?? I just need some help from my fellow boaters! info already coming in! so thank you..

[/ QUOTE ]

No certainly not, I was genuinely pleased as it didn't come across like that at all.
I wish you luck in selling soon.
Pete

duncan

Visit site
going to be a little bit of the Mariah factor in here too - less of a factor on an older boat as noones expecting maunfacturer support. At 5 years old people are making comparision with current new boats.

finally people aren't going to be buying this sort of boat out of season. Storage and or berthing costs don't look attractive from Sept onwards and then, with the sun and warmth of spring (plus any annual bonus burning a hole in the pocket) buyers want a boat, and want it now.

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Have you tried boats and outboards? I know it's got a bit busy there now, but I sold my last two boats through the site; the last one was a 25ft Regal.
cheers
Jimmy

Talbot

Visit site
definitely a buyers market at this time of the year, more people will be looking March/April time, especially with that type of boat.

AdeOlly

Visit site
Hi Nick - sold my 7 year old Sealine S24 in September through boatsandoutboards with no trouble and at what I'd consider to be a sensible market value. One tip I was given was to make sure your boat is the cheapest for that year and engine, as prospective buyers will go and see that boat first. I also created a website with loads of good quality pictures and a complete spec and inventory.
Good luck!

ported0

Visit site
there was one of them for sale up here it went in less than a week although it was priced at 5k less than yours. if you really want to move it drop the price especially now that winter is here.

epervier

Visit site
you sound like a distressed seller, don't let the buyers smell it , they will hammer you into the ground, lie, tell them the reason for the sale is you're moving upsize, not getting out. as others have said wait for spring when buyers are looking for the new season. sunny days and flat solent will open wallets