Splashwell mount steering rod

Sulliy

Visit site
Hi
Was wondering if anyone out there could send some help my way!
I have a 40hp outboard on a 17ft motorboat with steering a wheel.
Have an issue with the steering - haven't had boat long so guessing its always been like that, but I'd like to free it up.
Turning to the right - no probs, very tight circles.
However, doesn't turn to the left that well at all! Need to get this sorted.

The splashwell mounted tube with black ball needs to be shortened (i.e. pulled couple of inches through the mount into the boat).
I took the 90' splashwell brackets off and therefore this just left the rod+black ball which was then connected to the steering cables to the cabin.
I was just expecting to be able to move the black ball up a bit and we attach the brackets/kit, but ball wouldn't budge! Is it seized and just needs bit more brut strength, or are these balls not meant to be moved?

How can i move the whole steering rod back into the boat?

Hope my waffling makes sense?!? :confused:
Any help would be great.

Thanks

BarryH

Visit site
The end of the cable "should" be alloy and look to be fluted'ridged. Its actually threded. Look inside the boat and you may see a lock nut. Loosen this and then turn the outer casing so it winds into the boat. That what the system was like fitted to a Fletcher we had years ago.

OR

If its a ball mounted on a metal braket its roughly the same but you might need to loosen a nut or two before you can wind the outer cable through the ball.

It might be of help if you looked on a few manufcturers sites to get an idea about setting up the steering. Can you post a picture?

Last edited:

Sulliy

Visit site
Thanks for the reply.
The system that is on my boat is similar to the picture in this link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AXTQO/ref=asc_df_B0000AXTQO1979735?tag=thefind0118573-20&creative=395261&creativeASIN=B0000AXTQO&linkCode=asn

Except mine is 90'

I didn't undo the locking nut that connects the steering cable to the end of the rod (left-hand side in the pic) as didn't have a spanner big enough handy.
If i undid this will i be able to move the rod?

As you can see in the pic, bascially I just want to move the black ball to the right by a couple of inches.

Thanks for the help

BarryH

Visit site
You will have to undo the large nut on the end of the steering cable before you can screw the tube through the ball. Its the cable thats stopping the tube in the splashwell fitting from turning.

Sulliy

Visit site
Had a tinker with it this morning. Some stupid idiot before me who installed last steering system cross-threaded the locking nut, and it ain't budging!!
And as the steering rod is circular/smooth, can't get a good grip to hold it still whilst forcing the locking nut. b******s.

Any ideas how to loosen this locking nut if its cross-threaded too tightly?

Heckler

Visit site
Had a tinker with it this morning. Some stupid idiot before me who installed last steering system cross-threaded the locking nut, and it ain't budging!!
And as the steering rod is circular/smooth, can't get a good grip to hold it still whilst forcing the locking nut. b******s.

Any ideas how to loosen this locking nut if its cross-threaded too tightly?
Its not cross threaded, it wouldnt be where it is if it was. Get a proper spanner that fits properly, put it on the nut, grip the tube tightly witha pipe wrench and smartly hit the spanner so that it turns in the right direction, with a hammer. It will move!
Stu

Sulliy

Visit site
Thanks. Will give that a go tomorrow. Just wasn't sure how rough you can be with it before you damage it.