Spirit Stoves!

Zagato

Visit site
I was on my boat for 5 days last week, cooked two meals and boiled 2 pans of water for tea and the meths ran out :eek: I had used 1 litre of meths :confused: Cooking time was minimal so I presume it evaporated despite placing the pads over the stove canisters when not in use.

Does anybody else get through meths this quick of maybe I need new pads or just not put so much meths in each time ....

IMG_2791.jpg

Isn't meths meant to not give out carbon dioxide/monoxide :confused:

CaptainBob

www.yacht-forum.co.uk
When I had one it used to last for ages on a fill, but I was using it regularly and not leaving it for very long between.

If you're installing the black pads correctly though, it's hard to see how much could evaporate between uses.

Not an expert but I would guess that like any other combustion, burning meths is just as capable of producing CO2 and CO as any other, especially if not burning properly (not enough oxygen?). It definitely seems to produce a lot of moisture also. Definitely ventilate well.

agurney

agurney.com
I was on my boat for 5 days last week, cooked two meals and boiled 2 pans of water for tea and the meths ran out :eek: I had used 1 litre of meths :confused: Cooking time was minimal so I presume it evaporated despite placing the pads over the stove canisters when not in use.

Does anybody else get through meths this quick of maybe I need new pads or just not put so much meths in each time ....

IMG_2791.jpg

Use lids on your pans to keep the heat in, that way you'll use a lot less meths and reduce condensation.

I use a little over 500ml a day for a pan of porridge, dinner for two, and innumerable cups tea/coffee. I gave up on the black pads years ago.

The products of combustion are heat, water and carbon dioxide, I don't think there's any (practical boaty) way around that.

aslabend

Visit site
Two full Origo burner last about a week when cruising for me and that's cooking maybe 4/5 times a week and lots of kettles for coffee. That's maybe 1.25l . Maybe it's what are you cooking?

Coaster

Visit site
Two full Origo burner last about a week when cruising for me and that's cooking maybe 4/5 times a week and lots of kettles for coffee. That's maybe 1.25l .

Same for us, except we have 3 canisters including the oven.

We're usually on the boat about once a fortnight. The cover pads were forgotten the time before last. Despite that there was plenty of meths left in the stove canisters.

Maybe you have a meths fairy? Like the sock fairy that takes the odd socks away.

We spend about 70 nights on board each year. For perhaps 40% of that time we're using shorepower to boil kettles. Otherwise all cooking etc. is done using the Origo. Two years ago we bought 10 five-litre containers of meths. We still have 4 left.

Last edited:

barnaclephill

Visit site
metho consumption

Ethanol (90% of metho) is C2 H5 OH, thus the products of combustion will be oxides of carbon (i.e. carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide if there's insufficient oxygen), plus the oxide of hydrogen, water vapor. Water vapor will also arise from the hot water.
The only way around these gases and humidity is ventilation.

For me, on a 2 burner stove, it was 1L per week per person for all meals and coffees, both on the boat and when bicycle-touring with the Trangia.
Nowadays, I drink more coffee, and so it's about 1.5 to 2 litres of metho per week, all inclusive. For one to two people; say 1.5 solo, and 2 litres when there's 2 of us. Approx.

Ventilation is most important. Even leaving the hatch open 2 or 3 inches will reduce humidity, and most importantly carbon monoxide which kills people and is odorless.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
Just to emphasise the safety aspect, all combustion can produce produce carbon dioxide and monoxide - even a disposable charcoal BBQ. Always provide adequate ventilation when using the cooker whatever the fuel.

Hull Down

Visit site
Just to emphasise the safety aspect, all combustion can produce produce carbon dioxide and monoxide - even a disposable charcoal BBQ.
I'd have said *especially* a charcoal barbecue. Charcoal fires are notorious for CO poisoning.

As for the stove - shouldn't use that much. I use French Alcool a Bruler (now changed its name to something else) and that seems to last for ages. And I don't use the rubber pads.

MudShipper

Visit site
If I recall correctly, the information that came with my origo says to expect upto 8 hours from a 1litre fill. Mine certainly seems to last a lot longer than you have indicated. can't remember last time I filled it, must be about to run out anytime now.

I have used Trangias, and they definitely evaporate fast if you leave the cap off. Much prefer the origo, and it doesn't seem to smell as much.

Zagato

Visit site
Thanks for the replies I'll keep monitoring it. I was all set to go back to my Trangia but the Origo really is a quick handy way to cook.

Cooked with lids on of course, just took them off to show corned beef hash in the making - -would never it eat it at home - in fact haven't eaten corned beef since the BSE crisis 20 off years ago but when your cold, tired and wet it was lurvely - did a ratatouille the following night, will expecting Michelin stars soon ;)

Could do with a book on quick, knock up decent meals....

agurney

agurney.com
Thanks for the replies I'll keep monitoring it. I was all set to go back to my Trangia but the Origo really is a quick handy way to cook.

Cooked with lids on of course, just took them off to show corned beef hash in the making - -would never it eat it at home - in fact haven't eaten corned beef since the BSE crisis 20 off years ago but when your cold, tired and wet it was lurvely - did a ratatouille the following night, will expecting Michelin stars soon ;)

Could do with a book on quick, knock up decent meals....

For a weekend we take pre-prepared meals from the freezer - mince, bolognaise sauce, stews, curry etc. They defrost in the cold box, keeping milk and cold meats refrigerated in the process. Dinner comprises a carb portion cooked from scratch (pasta/rice) and whatever meat course has thawed first. Saves preparation time, washing up and meths.
Longer trips are usually mackerel or pot luck from the creel.

Lots of threads on this topic in the past.

Sovereign

Visit site
Buying fuel?

Have just fitted an Origo so read these recent posts with interest. Any suggestions on good value places to buy fuel Portsmouth / Chichester, please?

salinia

Visit site

IMG_2791.jpg

We find a pump pot useful to keep any excess hot water, it saves time and meths.
5373040319_630effbc96_z.jpg

maxcampbell

Me - village in south cambs. Boat - Brightlingsea
www.youtube.com
Are you filling the meths containers enough - ie so when held vertically the excess meths drains out, leaving it level with the bottom of the hole?

1 container full cooked 3 good meals (not just quick heat-ups), boiled at least 3 kettles a day (about 1L each time) over 4 days and was still going.

Notice the front rail on yours has fallen off, as has mine - both my pan holders also fell apart and last weekend one of the knobs disintegrated - I'm very disappointed with the weld / braze quality and am thinking of replacing it with a gas burner, very reluctantly.

Spuddy

Visit site
I usually have a few packs of those "straight to wok noodles" of various diameters. Quick and only needs a drop of water. I used them first on hectic d

Spuddy

Visit site
Oooer, to continue, hectic days for feeding the kids when they were much smaller. I told the boys they were worms.
Not monitored meths useage but the 1 gallon lasted ages when I lived aboard last summer.

MudShipper

Visit site
Have just fitted an Origo so read these recent posts with interest. Any suggestions on good value places to buy fuel Portsmouth / Chichester, please?

Don't know about your area, but I get mine in a 5L container at £12 from local hardware shop. whatever, don't be tempted to buy those little 200ml or 500ml bottles from the likes of B&Q - definitely not good value.