Spinning prop

G

While sailing my prop spins which I guess is normal, so I always engage reverse and leave it stopped. I intend a 6/12 month cruise and thought of buying a wind/water charger but was horrified by cost. Could I use the spinning prop to charge a battery? I dont know much about electronics so any suggestions please?

Thanks

TaoRichard

jfkal

Visit site
There is supposed to be a shaft-generator. Can't remember the name of the company. But it appears to be equally expensive. -And you need a certain length of exposed shaft to fit the thing.

yoda

Visit site
The electrical problem is very simple, the larger problem may be the effect on the stern shaft of taking a drive from it and the wear on the bearings that support the shaft. If you have a well supported shaft with room to fit a pully you could certainly drive an alternator and since that is all a commercial water driven generator is you should be in luck. What may be a bit difficult is ensuring the correct range of rotational speed and ratio of pully sizes on shaft and alternator. What is certainly ttrue however is that a small charging current 24 hours a day adds up to quite a bit. Used a water powered generator crossing the pond and was delighted with it's performance. Certainly worth looking into.

Yoda

G

Thanks fr your comments both of you. Yes there is enough shaft exposed - about a foot maybe more. I ll try a second hand car alternator and I can get a friend to make a pulley for me. I also intend fitting a pair of the excellent solar panels from Maplin Electronics which are only about 35pstg ea so with both systems working I should get a useful amount of current.

Thanks again.

Richard

G

I remember reading an article about just such a project in either PBO or YM last back end.
The guy reckoned the free wheeling prop rotated at somewhere between 1/2 and 1/3 of the speed when driven under 50% power. He suggested fitting appropriate pulleys to drive another alternator.
Seemed like a feasable notion.
I was wondering if I could concoct a "chuck it over the side" prop version for my little boat.
I'll try to find the back number if required.
Rod

G

You can buy an impeller for a line driven alternator from Ampair fairly cheaply I guess its then only a question of fitting an alternator in a "dry" location. Over the past couple of days this has actually seemed the simplest solution to the whole problem! The alternator could be mounted under the cockpit seating and a bearing with attachment for line in the transom. Anyway tks fr yr comments its getting more and more practical

G

Have seen a small alternator fitted to a little 2 cylinder 600cc diesel made by Kabuta(? spelling) This unit was supposed to power a small digger/dumper so the alternator just kept the battery topped up, no headlights etc.
The current rating was about 10 amps. Don't know what/if regulator system employed.
Might be worth having a chat with perveyors of light industrial equipment in your area.
As far as solar panels go, check if a protection diode is included. If not, use a Schottky type--- there is less forward drop voltage so you will get a bit more umph.
Wasn't able to liberate said alternator---Owner watching!!!

HaraldS

www.taniwani.eu
Wouldn't recommend that. Efficiency is very low as the prop isn't designed as a turbine, radial laod with a V-belt is not good for the bearings and seals. Also the spinning prop has more drag than the stopped one, that's what helicopters use to sink slower in an emergency.