Spinni or CS

cynthia

Visit site
Yes, I know it's an oldie, but this time I'll pay attention. Promise!
For long distance (eventual Med. use) should we buy a cruising chute or a spinnaker? I read Charles' comments on the livaboard section with interest and thoroughly respect his views, but thought a chute was more versatile and easy to handle than the disappointing 'compromise' he refers to.

Am I wrong? (again!)

Cynth

billmacfarlane

Visit site
You're right Cynthia it's been chewed over on a fair few times on this site. Personally I've just bought a cruising chute accepting it's limitations and having owned a spinnaker in past boats. Reasons ? I've a bigger boat this time and the cruising chute is easier to handle , especially sailing with just 2 people. The times when I will miss the spinnaker will be dead downwind but I'll tack downwind with the cruising chute instead. The spinnaker is probably a more versatile sail , being useful on more points of sailing , bit more fiddly to set up. If you don't want to compromise on this then the spinnaker is the one to go for.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
There's no rule that forbids flying a CC from a spi pole. If you want to go squarish downwind a CC can do it.

It'll look funny, but what the heck?

Once in a real blow, the boat I was racing aboard set a no 3 genoa as a kite - went beautifully. We kept the sail in one piece and the boat upright, which is more than the spinnaker flyers did

G

Take Twister_Ken's advice

I have both. I fly a (huge) 1 ounce Spinnaker when I have the hands to strike it in an emergency and a 1.5 ounce asymetric cruising chute when it's just Simone and I.

The Chute is very versatile. I find it much easier to fly the Chute rigged from the spinnaker pole, but will fly it as a traditonal chute fixed to the stem head if the wind is steady and the sail will draw ont hat point of sail.

If you can afford only one - take the chute.

PhilipStapleton

www.radartutor.com
We've got both - I use the shute short handed and keep the spinny for the once-a-year Round the Island race or when we've got at least three people who know what they are doing!. Needless to say, we're not very adept at it! There' no doubt the spinny drives the boat faster (.5 knot?) but both are difficult above 18-20kts of wind.

charles_reed

Visit site
I'd agree with the consensus of spinnaker before asymmetric - I've got both, sail single-handed and find the spi about x10 more useful.

The asymmetric, set on a 1.8m bowsprit really comes into it's own in a reach between 3-8 knots.
Above 8knots true the force on the pole end cripples the pole.
My spi is only 3/4oz US but I've carried it in up to 23 knots (didn't have any option - the seas off Finisterre were too much for the Autohelm, so I couldn't hand it).

G

I'm considering options for light/down wind sail and currently favour a CS, but if anyone can tell me how to handle spini single handed, sans autopilot, the advice would be most welcome.

HaraldS

www.taniwani.eu
I really agree with Twister_Ken on this. We are sailing short handed, and often just my wife and I, and we are using the cruising chute on almost any point of sail. Very often we set it on a pole and sometimes, especially when tacking downwind, on two poles. Handling is then very easy and it really doesn'd look so odd (I can supply pictures).
The size differnce isn't so big either that it would make a huge speed differnce. Our regular spi would be 190 sqm and our cruising chute is 160 sqm.
I'd probably have both, if I knew where to store the second monster, but having just one I certainly prefer the very versatile cruising chute.

G

Re: Spinni or CS when shorthanded

As for the CS v regular kite argument I can't comment on. A brilliant technique for take down is to feed the the halyard overboard! The drag slows the halyard down and enables you to gather the kite in. No kinks, tangles or other aggro. works like a dream. We use it all the time, very light airs excepted. You might need to experiment as to the drag required. A boat with the halyard lead aft might not need anything. whereas halyards handled at the mast may need somthing tied on the end. eg: large knot, rags, or if you're in a maxi, a bucket!

G

Something else to think about is a CC with a Kevlar luff and a deeper cut than normal, you could even set this on a furling gear. The deeper cut will alow a good set as a spinny, with a Kevlar luff allowing a tighter luff for closer reaching.

G

I did mean a Kevlar tape, some 50mm wide which acts as a semi-rigid spar to furl the CC around, using a Martin-Wyckam type of furling gear, not reefing gear.