Spinnaker sheet & guy sizing

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
Even with Dyneema keeping the pole off the forestay can be difficult. I use a jockey pole to give the guy a reasonable angle. It's easiest if it is rigged before it is really needed and if the wind goes aft it just frees itself. The boat in front is using a jockey pole
26677957_1887120718265817_9001530618243351835_o.jpg
Fabulous photo is that.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Whilst also going A-sail to eliminate the need entirely....
The pole is fixed,, with permanent dyneema guys. Well, semi permanent cos we take it off to prevent those charming chaps in Beaulieu and similar from running their tame measure over us. Also the float tips move aft when we fold, so that has to be accounted for. The guys run through a block on the float tip and back to the lifting eye on the inner dnd of the ama. Then we can fold and unfold without messing with them at all. Nothing is ever simple. We can also pull the tack to windward for deep running if we have to. All on dyneema. Dunno what people did before dyneema, it makes the impossible possible.

flaming

Visit site
Dunno what people did before dyneema, it makes the impossible possible.
Wire. Which then lead to "meat hooks" as it aged.

It's before my time that this was really an issue, but I remember getting an old sigma 38 kite out, and the corners were just covered in blood stains.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Love the idea of a tame measure - I try to avoid going up the river 'cos there are wild animals roaming there!
The measure was tamed by me posting from my phone. Small keys, sausage fingers and no reading glasses🤣

Dyneema is definitely kinder on the hands than wire. Among it’s many other qualities. The more cruisy types here should probably get over the price of the stuff. The lower grades of it are ideally suited to the lower stress sailor, and not that expensive. Some of pur lines are ‘cruising dyneema’ in spec, cheaper, yet more than adequate. Spinnaker tack outhaul, jib sheets, stuff like that. We save the expensive stuff for the main halyard, backstays, bobstay, the highly stressed or very stretch sensitive areas.

Last edited: