Spinnaker/scaffold pole

tarik

Visit site
I already have a spinnaker pole but am thinking of taking another pole in case I want to goosewing, a friend has suggested using a scaffold pole cut to length, they are rustproof, 2" diameter - will take proper ends etc, and not too heavy.

I can get hold of these poles easily.

Does any one have any views re potential etc????

Many thanks

David

helixkimara

Visit site
pole

Yes I used a carbon fibre windsurfing pole cut down to correct length.
The bit left over (2m) I used as mast for bits n bobs on the stern .
Normal scaffold tube is pretty heavy. You can get aluminium scaffold poles
Regards
Malcome

Q

quimby

I already have a spinnaker pole but am thinking of taking another pole in case I want to goosewing, a friend has suggested using a scaffold pole cut to length, they are rustproof, 2" diameter - will take proper ends etc, and not too heavy.

I can get hold of these poles easily.

Does any one have any views re potential etc????

Many thanks

David

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We used a scaffold pole with a heavy gate spring bolt that are used on agri gates, it worked well enough to get us across the pond to St Lucia! Weight a bonus to keep the sail down, on a 44ft Northwind yacht.

Of course a northwind 44 would not qualify for the "Jester Challenge" too many feet and crew!

Last edited:

Isabel

N/A
Visit site
The purpose of an operating scaffold is usually to offer a secure work environment with secure access suitable for the work becoming performed. This kind of doc models away effectiveness demands for working scaffolds.

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I don't get to do much downwind running to use a spinnaker pole. But when I do it seems it is always the middle of the night with a big sea running when I want to take it down. I have a very light12' pole that still tries to take me over the side as I wrestle it to the deck. Thank God for safety lines and harnesses.

I think a scaffold pole may be too heavy and unmanageable in ocean conditions,singlehanded. Plenty of cheap spinnaker poles on Ebay. If it is going to be used mainly for poling out the genoa a dinghy one might be suitable.

merlin3688

www.sailingschoolandrigging.com
We supply 2" 16g Laser top masts which also make great whisker poles, can supply pole, ends or both, drop me a message if of interest. A Scaffolding pole I think will be heavy and not anodized. Also look in your local dinghy park, you may find a broken Laser top mast just laying around!

MM5AHO

Visit site
I made my own from an aluminium scaffold pole. Cut it to length, then bought 600mm or stainless tubing that slipped over the ends. Welded caps on the end pieces, and to those welded buckles with quick release strings. Two stainless screws retain the SS end pieces on the pole, even though thery're a tight fit.
Works great. Spinnaker pole is just too long for the job.

Noddy

Visit site
I just sold my 13 1/2 foot spinnaker pole - don't use a spinnaker single handed.

Every time I used the thing, the sail wrapped around the rig and I brained myself with the pole. Gave up.

I have an old Tornado bowsprit (bit like a windsurfer mast). I use it as a jib stick for goosewinging.

Paul

Downsman

Visit site
2007_0220Image0010-1-1.jpg

2 inch aluminium television aerial using standard boom/pole end fittings. Used with a cruising chute not a spinnaker, like Noddy I'm singlehanded and don't use them. Two successful Trans- Atlantics with this rig.