Spinnaker douse beam reach, solo

flaming

Visit site
Out of interest, would this work as well with an asymmetric kite? I've seen it done, but only by very experienced crew, am worried that with less expertise it could result in a nasty trawl. I'd therefore usually go for a windward drop if there's no chance to bear away - although that may be because the boat I'm currently on uses a tack retrieval line.

I don't see why not. Though I'd probably stick to the windward drops if that works for you.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
On the subject of slipknots..

'Tis true that long enough sheets/guys don't really need them, but if you're using what you already have, then to reduce the chance of jamming under load I've used a slipped figure of eight. If I'm on someone else's boat and they're not convinced, then a 'figure of twelve' (an extra twist in the eight) reduces the possibility of jamming even further.

Neil_Y

www.h4marine.com
I've two handed an open 30 with a 70sqm kite and knots could cause a problem, when you want the kite to come down the guy has to run quickly and if the drop slows and the kite gets dragged away from the boat to leward you want the guy to run through all the blocks and just be on the end of the kite as you haul it in. If it stops at the knot it can very quickly fill with wind and be ripped out of your hands, or at least that's what I've experienced. a 40m kite is quite small my dinghy kite is 32, so should'nt present problems if it can be dropped fast enough. Speed and no friction are your friends when dropping kites. The halyard can be a bit more controlled if you can and the trailing in the water works well when short handed.

lw395

Visit site
I've always found it best to let the guy run without a knot, when you don't have the time or crew to do a well controlled drop.
If conditions are such that you can't re-run the guy outside everything in 20 seconds, you won't be wanting the kite again soon anyway.
We use the stranglers/twinning lines/(whatever you call them this week) to pull the sheet up under the boom and bundle the kite down the hatch, or ideally into a big bag.
If you're sailing with a roller genoa, and might want/need to tack, leaving the genoa partly rolled allows the pole to stay on, sticking out to leeward if necessary.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
My 30ft keeelboat has just one 'continuous' sheet/guy and so there's no way to let the guy 'run free'. We've never had a problem with that, despite some potentially very messy drops...

Foolish Muse

Visit site
I gave the "stretch and blow" technique a try and I have to say how shocked I was at how much it stalled the spinnaker and how my boat speed dropped immediately. I could see using this in certain situations. For example our races often end on a beam reach right in front of the club, where we have little room to continue sailing. This method would be perfect for slowing the boat and dropping the chute before I hit the moorage field. I'm very happy to have added it to my body of knowledge. Thanks very much for this.

I don't know that I'd use it in the middle of a race for the precise reason that it does slow the boat A LOT. Several boat lengths would be lost just when I'm trying to get around the mark before the leeward boat. I'd rather just blow the guy and pull in the chute behind the mainsail without losing any speed.

Last edited:

flaming

Visit site
I gave the "stretch and blow" technique a try and I have to say how shocked I was at how much it stalled the spinnaker and how my boat speed dropped immediately. I could see using this in certain situations. For example our races often end on a beam reach right in front of the club, where we have little room to continue sailing. This method would be perfect for slowing the boat and dropping the chute before I hit the moorage field. I'm very happy to have added it to my body of knowledge. Thanks very much for this.

I don't know that I'd use it in the middle of a race for the precise reason that it does slow the boat A LOT. Several boat lengths would be lost just when I'm trying to get around the mark before the leeward boat. I'd rather just blow the guy and pull in the chute behind the mainsail without losing any speed.

Depends how fast you can get it down I guess. Fully crewed we will go from "ok, sheet on now..." to "BLOW" in a matter of seconds. Doubt we lose as much as having to turn down to drop. I wouldn't consider a drop where the kite is coming in aft of the main, seems like asking for trouble unnecessarily to me!

Foolish Muse

Visit site
Depends how fast you can get it down I guess. Fully crewed we will go from "ok, sheet on now..." to "BLOW" in a matter of seconds. Doubt we lose as much as having to turn down to drop. I wouldn't consider a drop where the kite is coming in aft of the main, seems like asking for trouble unnecessarily to me!
You're right, you wouldn't lose as much speed as turning down. But for a singlehander it's adding another significant and long step that would even require winching the sheet in during a blow. Pulling the chute in behind the mainsail is bloody fast for a singlehander in light or heavy winds, but you do end up with the chute in the cockpit and have to retie all 3 corners of sail afterwards.

Last edited: