Spindrift hits a RIB and MOD 70 Virbec Paprec capsizes

Allan

Visit site
Spindrift always has one hull "flying". She is designed to have the central hull and one side hull in the water and the other " flying".
Allan

bbg

Visit site
Okay, I have never sailed a multihull let alone a racing one.

BUT it all happened rather slowly as she started to fly a hull. So why didn't they dump the main as soon as the hull started to lift?

At the end of the video they said there is a button for the driver to blow the main sheet (it is hydraulic) but for some reason it didn't work. It wasn't clear whether he didn't punch the button or whether it just didn't work. During the video you can see the driver fall into the water, so maybe he had already lost the position to punch the button?

I thought the initial lift happened quickly and they probably got to the point of no return in a couple of seconds.

Sybarite

Visit site
At the end of the video they said there is a button for the driver to blow the main sheet (it is hydraulic) but for some reason it didn't work. It wasn't clear whether he didn't punch the button or whether it just didn't work. During the video you can see the driver fall into the water, so maybe he had already lost the position to punch the button?

I thought the initial lift happened quickly and they probably got to the point of no return in a couple of seconds.

As far as the Spindrift accident is concerned, theoretically the driver must be able to manouvre his boat in all circumstances. It is not a defense to say that they require a lot of room and that other boats should stay clear even if they have right of way.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
BUT it all happened rather slowly as she started to fly a hull. So why didn't they dump the main as soon as the hull started to lift?

Flying the windward hull on trimarans is intentional and part of the design. The beams usually make a shallow V shape. All Farriers and Dragonflies do it. It's flying the main hull that is risky and pushing it too far.

Tomahawk

Visit site
The lift from comfortable to critical took only about 1/4 of a second... Why the helm didn't dump is a mistery.

Though he probably took a dump shortly after...:disgust:

Lakesailor

Visit site
I didn't get my central hull to lift..................

Trimaran.jpg