Spending the winter months in the Greek Islands ?

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
A slight quibble, and I'm sure the OP will put us right, but from the nature of his post I believe he was using the term "Greek Islands" as a generic reference to Greek waters.

Anyway, the Saronic and Inland Ionian are both suitable for winter cruising in settled weather, with enough bolt holes for unsettled periods. And even though a lot of facilities close down, both areas have centres which remain fully alive all winter. If you count Lefkas as an island! No argument about Poros I think . . .

On average we used to get only 3 very bad days weather, i.e. force10+ in the Poros area a winter. lots of rain though The rest of the time very manageable

noelex

Visit site
On average we used to get only 3 very bad days weather, i.e. force10+ in the Poros area a winter. lots of rain though The rest of the time very manageable

In my experience this seems typical. The winter gales seem to be of similar frequency and intensity in all the Greek islands I have sailed.
The sample size is obviously small which makes comparisons difficult. The pilot books while giving a fairly detailed analysis of summer conditions are sketchy on the winter winds. So all views on which areas have the most begin conditions over winter would be welcome.

masharry

www.28feetafloat.com
20 years ago we sailed all winter from Corfu through Ionian, down the Peloponnese and on to Crete, Jan and Feb. We carried on to Rhodes and then Cyprus by March. We had a few stormy days but otherwise it was fantastic, would recommend.

This year we are sailing through the winter with our kids, currently in Ionian heading east, through Corinth and onwards.

We have a diesel heater, and hot water bottles onboard and will be keeping a close eye on the weather, but know that sailing at this time of year is a very different experience. We are looking forward to getting away from the whole summer, charter, holiday thing.:)

www.28feetafloat.com

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
Further south the better. The summer season is about a month longer in S Peloponese, Santorini, Ios, Rhodes, Crete than in the Saronic or Inland Ionian.

It also helps if you're on a western coast - so the rain and clouds form inland from you! Much of the rain is sparked off as the depression/front/moist air lift over the first range of hills.

MikeHolt

Visit site
I strongly suggest,Simonbuk, that you pay heed especially to Charles Reed's message in this thread. If you want a really good introduction to the downside of the 'boating lifestyle' (it ain't all flat blue seas, wine and bikinis!) then try the Aegean in the winter. Spent several months wintering Piraeus and then points south. The Meltemi blasts the Cyclades for example even in summer. The Aegean 'fetch' is narrow and gives rise to steep seas when the wind blows. Again, even in summer, the winds can turn violently from one side of an island to another. Do what others suggest and use winter to take time to make sure your boat purchase is well considered for room and sea-worthiness and equipment before buying, and then spending weeks (long) making sure that it's in genuine good nick down to the bilges. It will all pay off in a boat lifestyle full of pleasure, and free from unnecessary worry and unexpected expense.

But it sure is worth doing, done thoughtfully. Good luck whichever whatway you go!

MikeHolt
www.FamilyAweigh.co.uk

giolconda

Visit site
Further south the better. The summer season is about a month longer in S Peloponese, Santorini, Ios, Rhodes, Crete than in the Saronic or Inland Ionian.

It also helps if you're on a western coast - so the rain and clouds form inland from you! Much of the rain is sparked off as the depression/front/moist air lift over the first range of hills.

We came across from Crete a couple of weeks ago and are slowly working our way up the western side of the Peloponese, heading for the Saronics/Poros/Aigina. We are picking our weather windows, not too bad for wind but the rain is being prolonged (4 days solid) and fairly depressing and 1.5c degs forecast for tomorrow night (17/11), brrrr
When the sun shines it's wonderful, when it rains it can get very gloomy but at the end of the day it's the winds/gales that are the danger. The seas can also get very uncomfortable!

Forecasts must be adhered to and even if you run in somewhere early it doesn't matter, better than been late or not finding suitable shelter.

We won't and have no wish to do winters travelling around. We left cold winter sailing in the UK.

It also depends if you can come to terms with the solitude because a lot of islands shut down for winter. Even here on the Peloponese we haven't seen another yacht for a week.

Enjoy whatever you decide and take care.

Wansworth

Visit site
I recon you can cruise all year round here in the Rias.Lots of hidy holes and emtier marinas with all the tourists away you have time to really meet the locals.In general its a mild climate and I recall sitting outside in November playing chess and swimming.What you wont get are those horrible nortadas and burning sun altogether much nicer and if you have a wood stove it comes into its own....

luckybeanz

www.luckybeanz.com
Temperature on the South coast of Turkey was good, only with wind from the snow covered mountains inland the nights ware cold.
We have a Reflex diesel and a wood burning stove, the Reflex was for the cold Dutch winters, here we use the wood burning stove to make the boat cosy and also cook on it. Wood is abundant, during the daily walks we gather the good sized wood, the rest we leave for the summer tourists camp-fire. Fifteen minutes of wood gathering is enough for two hours in the morning and 6 hours in the evening. Bread baking or cooking an octopus, the heat is on.

What stove do you use, I am currently looking at heating options for Greece and rather like the idea of a wood burning stove. Have you ever tried to make brickets out of waste paper, I'm wondering how well they would burn if the flue was set right?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
What stove do you use, I am currently looking at heating options for Greece and rather like the idea of a wood burning stove. Have you ever tried to make brickets out of waste paper, I'm wondering how well they would burn if the flue was set right?
You can normally find plenty of wood hanging around , not sure how if your in a marinathe marina or other boat would feel if there black smoke coming out over there boats tho , we had one guy in a winter marina doing just that and the boats behind was getting covered in black soot in the end they had to stop burning stuff , if your at anchor then I guess you wouldn't have that problem .

Kelpie

Visit site
You can normally find plenty of wood hanging around , not sure how if your in a marinathe marina or other boat would feel if there black smoke coming out over there boats tho , we had one guy in a winter marina doing just that and the boats behind was getting covered in black soot in the end they had to stop burning stuff , if your at anchor then I guess you wouldn't have that problem .

It's perfectly possible to use a woodburner and produce almost no discernible smoke, IF it is well designed, maintained, and installed, and if only good quality dry fuels are burned at high heat.
Unfortunately lots of people don't understand, or care, how to use their stoves properly and use them with the door open, or turned down very low, or burning damp wood (or, even, worse, burning coal, chipboard, or plastic). This is what leads to excessive smoke and soot.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
It's perfectly possible to use a woodburner and produce almost no discernible smoke, IF it is well designed, maintained, and installed, and if only good quality dry fuels are burned at high heat.
Unfortunately lots of people don't understand, or care, how to use their stoves properly and use them with the door open, or turned down very low, or burning damp wood (or, even, worse, burning coal, chipboard, or plastic). This is what leads to excessive smoke and soot.

I sure your right , years back we use to cook and heat the house with a wood burner , and you couldn't hardly see any smoke . But ones I seen being used on boat tend to find what ever will burn to save the dosh. And as I said when your out at anchor it's fine , not one bother you , but more and more in marinas these days the staff are getting tougher on what liveaboard can and can't do . Some year back a yacht was asked to remove a washing machine off the pontoon , where he refuse there was no second chance he was told he was beached of contract and had to leave . And rightly so .
Another guy was told if he used his grinder again ,, while his boat was moored next to other boats , he too would have to leave .
Ofcause there still some yards , marina who don't give a dam what you do but other boat owner near by may not be so forgiven .

OldBawley

Visit site
The wood stove we have is a one off. Made it myself. Had a wood burning stove in the house, scaled it down and adapted for the yacht. That scaling down proved to be more difficult than I thought. Volumes and air speeds don't scale down in the same way as measurements. After a lot of experimenting our wood stove is nearly perfect. That is for our boat, our way of life, our needs.

Made a second stove for the second boat, that one is in use since 1987. Full time. Heating and cooking. Not during the three or four hot months, then we use gas for cooking.

I can not recommend the use of a wood burning stove. Using it, getting the wood, storing the wood is something a lot more difficult and time consuming then turning the thermostat. Even knowing which wood is good ( no smoke, few ash, no insects ) and where to get it without work is a science that took me years to perfect. In fact, your wintering spot depends on the availability of fuel wood.

In the French canals we burned fallen branches of the famous plane trees, In Reggio Calabria we burned transport pallets ( smoke, low caloric wood and often treated with chemicals ) and in Holland I burned beech ( had to buy ). In Turkey and Greece we burn wood from the most common shrub ( sorry, cant find the name ) The dog´s paw thick branches never have insects in it, burn when wet, are heavier than water and burn without smoke with a ferocity that can be dangerous. Collecting the wood is easy. We make a walk on a hillside just yards from the beach and collect the stuff. No sawing ( not possible except with a steel hacksaw ) I just hit a branch against a rock and stove ready pieces snap of. The stuff is harder than iron wood, breaks like glass. I have used the same wood to replace bronze bushing in machinery. ( Have a lathe on board )
If I want to produce smoke ( have my reasons ) I throw a piece of shrub root from an other shrub into the fire. That wood produces a faint white smoke that smells heavenly.

Pine is bad. Smoke and soot. No good. Only good if you have a neighbor who has one of those webasopachers fuming up your cockpit and gassing you to death with the diesel smoke fumes.

We also have a Refleks diesel burning stove on board. No noise, uses no electricity, is extremely reliable and easy to operate. Turn the thermostat. Fool proof. We have not used the Reflex since year 2000. Reason : fuel has to be bought, wood is free.
It is a way of life. Even now we both receive a pension and the money is abundant.... we both like the way the wood burning stove regulates our lives. It is slow way of living, just like sailing.

In the 70s, I made a press to make bricks out of newspaper. My colleges had seen the press, wanted one. Sold quit a lot of them. Had a stack of dried paper bricks as big as my grandfathers wood shed.
Making the bricks ( soaking in water, mixing, pressing, drying ) I noticed the chickens liked the water coming out of the melasse while pressing. Later my grandfather told me the chickens laid funny long tubular eggs. Then I read that the smoke from the ink when burned is toxic. It produces dioxin. Never burned one of my bricks again. Did not even sell them. I think my grandfather burned them. He died age 93 in a fight. The fool.

luckybeanz

www.luckybeanz.com
Even now we both receive a pension and the money is abundant.... we both like the way the wood burning stove regulates our lives. It is slow way of living, just like sailing.
Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...n-the-Greek-Islands/page4#HjZKOCjobdo1o8Bt.99

Great post, thanks for sharing. I feel you sentiments. My whole aim of getting a boat is to live more simply and more sustainably. Sounds like we have similar ideas, if you are still in Greece I'd love to pick your brain at some point.