Spending the winter months in the Greek Islands ?

simonbuk

Visit site
Does anybody spend the winter months cruising around the Greek Islands ? Is the climate still enjoyable ? How does thwe weather/temperature behave in Winter ?

Seriously considering buying a boat and cruisng the Greek Islands but want to do it sooner rather than later (can't wait for next Spring !!).

Just come back from doing an ICC in Gibraltar and want the boating lifestyle !!

charles_reed

Visit site
According to the locals it's wet, windy and socially dead.

Unless you've a lot of experience of heavy weather sailing I'd suggest you re-think.

I've just come up from Crete, through the Dodecanese and Cyclades to the Peloponnesus, beating up against the meltemi and I've experienced 2 occasions of 40 knots.

Tranona

Visit site
Yes, cruising type sailing ends in November until following May, although many days when daysailing is possible. Most of the islands close up for the winter, although there are liveaboard communities in places like Corfu and Levkas.

Don't underestimate the time needed to buy and equip a boat. Now is a good time to be looking if you want to buy in Greece as you can still get around and boats start coming on the market - for example ex charter boats. You might get lucky and if it suits buy a boat in October, get a bit of sailing in, hole up for the winter and be ready to go next spring.

simonbuk

Visit site
Thanks for the responses. :(

I thought it might have been liveable all year round - to a point.

I'm going to start my search for a boat shortly and hope to get a bit of sailing in before the winter sets in.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
I'll beg to disagree with the pessimists. winter in the more southern regions of Greece is quite tolerable, with about 30% to 50% unsettled weather, and the rest really rather nice. Yes, Corfu and Levkas are rather wetter.

Around the Athens area I'd put it rather like a bad English summer, and that's an area which does stay open in winter compared the primarily holiday areas.

lovezoo

www.myspace.com
According to the locals it's wet, windy and socially dead.
Bear in mind that when you live in a country where it gets really hot in the summer, winters do seem like winter, even if they are more like a British summer.

This is why here in Southern Spain the winter months you get Brits walking about in shorts, t-shirts and flip flops, whilst the locals (me included) are dressed up in thick coats, scarves and woolly hats, despite the fact that it is 18 degrees and the sun is shining.

Davy_S

Visit site
Bear in mind that when you live in a country where it gets really hot in the summer, winters do seem like winter, even if they are more like a British summer.

This is why here in Southern Spain the winter months you get Brits walking about in shorts, t-shirts and flip flops, whilst the locals (me included) are dressed up in thick coats, scarves and woolly hats, despite the fact that it is 18 degrees and the sun is shining.
I feel cold at below 25c now, 18c would be thermals (dig out dem Damarts!):)

Heckler

Visit site
You might also consider that boats bought in the med won't have heaters, it can snow in athens,.. and even in southern Tunisia we have had a few weeks below 8deg, when you are already cold and wet an unheated boat is no fun
Have you got crew in mind?

Alixora
Worked in Egypt and Algeria, it snowed in Algeria around Blida (near the coast) In Egypt I was working nights in the desert at Zeit Bay, I had to go to Hurghada and buy a padded jacket to keep me warm! This was in the winter.
Stu

charles_reed

Visit site
I'll beg to disagree with the pessimists. winter in the more southern regions of Greece is quite tolerable, with about 30% to 50% unsettled weather, and the rest really rather nice. Yes, Corfu and Levkas are rather wetter.

Around the Athens area I'd put it rather like a bad English summer, and that's an area which does stay open in winter compared the primarily holiday areas.
The OP did specify the Greek Islands - I'd suggest this rules out the Pelopponesus, and the mainland.

I regularly sail during October and April - but having experienced the Dodecanese and Cyclades would rule tham out for winter sailing or liveaboard.
Crete on the other hand is quite good for limited winter sailing.

binch

gradually diminishing with age. Now Europe
Visit site
Winter

We have several times cruised Greek waters all winter. Once in the aegean, five times in IOnian
Very pleasanrt because the blasted flotillas and bareboat philistines not there.
Plenty of room in anchorages and in many ports.
One can easily get stores - one doesn't want to shop every day.
Tavernas are warm, and they become really Greek in winter, no tsicken and tsips, no tea like mother made. There's always Tis oris if you don't want pastitsada You get to know people better.
We like to experience the solitude of the Gulf of Amvrakia, One can shop at Vonitsa, or better still that small port (Forget name) at the south-east corner. They do wonderful kokoretsi there.
Its real cruising.

little_roundtop

tntatsea.wordpress.com
Winter sailing in the Greek islands

We winter every year on Crete. November through to January is warm (up to 20 deg C) and mostly sunny. February and March are wet and April is changeable. The lowest daytime temperature down here all winter is around 8 deg C. We get snow on the high mountains (they're over 2000m high) but almost never at sea level.

The real problem I think with winter sailing in the Greek islands are southerly storms. The prevailing winds in the summer are all northely so most islands have ports sheltered from that direction. In the winter we often get southerly storms (often very strong) and the regular ports and harbours on most islands will be unsuitable in those conditions.

You can sail in the winter, and some do, but you need to pay even greater attention to the long-range forecasts. There is a big fetch to Libya and southerly storms bring big seas. For example, we were stuck in the port of Aghia Galini on the south coast of Crete in November 2007 during a south-westerly gale 8 gusting 9. The sea was coming over the 4m high sea wall (and over the huge concrete blocks on the seaward side) and crashing down on the quay. Although we were safe in the port it was pretty scary. Outside it would have been extremely dangerous.

Tony Cross

noelex

Visit site
We "sail" all winter in the med.
The anchorages are beautiful and deserted.
During the winter season we move less often and look for anchorages that offer 360 deg protection.
We will spend several weeks, or even months, in the same anchorage during winter (often moving around the bay for some variety), sailing to another location when a suitable weather window opens up.
The weather patterns dictate the movement. In winter you want to be south for warmth, but its helpful to get a north before the Meltimi kicks in.
Be prepared for some strong winds at anchor. Expect in winter
1x 50K
3X 40K,
and many lesser gales. ( these are averages. The peak wind will be higher)

OldBawley

Visit site
We have being “ sailing “ for the past 10 years during winter.
Exactly as Noelex points out, mostly day sailing from a 360° protected anchorage.
We wintered in the Turkish Fethiye- Göcek area, sailed every week to the village to stock up on the week market, rest of the time in one of the many many bays.
Ten years ago, there were a lot of liveaboards in that area, the last few years there ware 3 yachts on 40 miles of shore and hundreds of bays. Marina´s full to the brim with empty yachts. Three coastguard boats, one helicopter and a lot of personnel had only us to play with, witch is the reason that we are wintering in Greece this year. Apart of some small fishing boats, you have the hole area for yourself.
For an old heavy yacht, winter is the better season for sailing. There is more wind in the 3 to 4 Bf range. It is also a far better season for long walks and nature starts waking up after the first rains in autumn. It is hard to believe that those arid brown slopes are covered in green and flowers in winter.
Temperature on the South coast of Turkey was good, only with wind from the snow covered mountains inland the nights ware cold.
We have a Reflex diesel and a wood burning stove, the Reflex was for the cold Dutch winters, here we use the wood burning stove to make the boat cosy and also cook on it. Wood is abundant, during the daily walks we gather the good sized wood, the rest we leave for the summer tourists camp-fire. Fifteen minutes of wood gathering is enough for two hours in the morning and 6 hours in the evening. Bread baking or cooking an octopus, the heat is on.
An up to date whether forecast is essential. As soon as there is a Force 7 ore more, off to the hurricane hole and secure the boat. We carry five anchors and use them if necessary. And no, one “Good” Rockna would not be enough. A marina is no option for us, being low budget sailors.
A strong winter tent over the cockpit makes the boat more comfortable. It must be really strong and low windage, especially in thunderstorms the wind can be 10 BF from every direction.
Loneliness is a problem. Talking to the screen helps. Not as dangerous as annoying the wife.

charles_reed

Visit site
It's interesting that all those who have recommended winter sailing have very carefully avoided the Dodecanese, Cyclades or Saronese islands and, mostly, stuck to the mainland and frequently Turkey not Greece.

The OP quite clearly stated "the Greek islands".

noelex

Visit site
It's interesting that all those who have recommended winter sailing have very carefully avoided the Dodecanese, Cyclades or Saronese islands and, mostly, stuck to the mainland and frequently Turkey not Greece.

To clarify I have spent several winters on anchor in the Greek Islands
Ionian, Cyclades and Crete.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info

A slight quibble, and I'm sure the OP will put us right, but from the nature of his post I believe he was using the term "Greek Islands" as a generic reference to Greek waters.

Anyway, the Saronic and Inland Ionian are both suitable for winter cruising in settled weather, with enough bolt holes for unsettled periods. And even though a lot of facilities close down, both areas have centres which remain fully alive all winter. If you count Levkas as an island! No argument about Poros I think . . .