SpeedLog sensor

denniswilliamson

Visit site
as a relative newcomer to yachting i would welcome any helpfull hints from experienced guys.

I want to pull the speed log sensor with the boat in the water, replacing it with a blanking plug.

Is this a safe procedure ? any usefull tips would be welcomed.

dw

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

My way is to :

a) Have plug to hand
b) Carefully unscrew the the transducer till just about 1/2 turn holding it on.
c) Now change hands carefully - so that you have transducer in your other hand,(ie if you are right-handed then use left for final bit)
d) With your BEST hand holding plug ready to slap on - with other hand unscrew last bit and pull out smartly ... plug staright on and as its your best hand - you should be able to screw on enough to stop the gush of water.
e) Putting transducer down ... both hands onto plug and get its screwed on.

It all sounds awful - but practice while boat is dry if possible - you'll then see why I advocate the change of hands .....

Done quickly and well - you shouldn't have that much water - possibly a litre or maybe 2 .....

I do try and NOT do it too often when afloat .... saves the heart !!

<hr width=100% size=1>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gps-navigator/
Posts personal opinions and maybe controversial

G

Please don't shout at me if it doesn't go to plan !

Also have a wood plug ready just in case.

Tip the blanking plug should be fixed nearby ready for all events .... one way is to drill a small hole in centre, have bolt to fit with two nuts and a tag washer ...plus a length of light twine. The bolt has the tag washer which has been crimped onto the twine then a nut - pass bolt through plug and wind on nut till the nuts are tight gripping the plug, but leaving the tag washer free enough to turn. Its a good idea to have some epoxy or sealant around the bolt when passing through the plug ... to make sure it does not leak at all.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gps-navigator/
Posts personal opinions and maybe controversial

simonfraser

Visit site
just did the same with boat on the hard, just as well, the other (blank) plug did not screw down correctly and had to be replaced - rethreaded several times.

a total pain, there was also a strange cofigeration of rings at the non hull end to position the hull end correctly, obviously designed to be used on a work bench, not down a hull.

my advice, practice without water first.

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldharry

Visit site
Its frightening to see all that water gushing in. But all it does is to get you a bit wet! Be ready, as Nigel says, to stick your hand over it. On a warm day I quite often use a bare foot, leaving both hands free to remove the crustacea that so lve to live on my log paddle wheel..

Make sure you have moved any carpets or mats etc well clear!

<hr width=100% size=1>

pete

Visit site
Hi
Lots of good advice but try to have some one with you onboard, if it all goes pear shape you may have to stay below deck stemming the flow .
Pete

<hr width=100% size=1>Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

denniswilliamson

Visit site
IT IS A HEART STOPPER WHEN THE PLUG COMES OUT! - But went well.

my MAXI 1000 was clipping along this afternoon at 7.8 kts, thank you to all for your positive and most useful feedback, happy sailing guys...

<hr width=100% size=1>