Speeding

Chris_d

Visit site
Not saying speeding in car is acceptable:rolleyes: but a car doesn't drag a flipping great wake behind it does it, in a car it is the speed that kills in a boat the speed is irrelavent its the wake, however speed is seen as the only way of enforcing it which I think is wrong we should just have "No wake" zones like they do in the US.

Assassin

Visit site
Another misconception that speeding in a car kills, and that is what it is, a misconception.

Police figures show that in speeding in a car is a factor in less than 5% of accidents, and a significant factor in less than 2% of accidents, and this is all accidents, not just serious or fatal accidents.

What is more relevant in cars and boats is that inappropriate speed at inappropriate times is much more of an issue.

Ripster

Visit site
Another misconception that speeding in a car kills, and that is what it is, a misconception.

Police figures show that in speeding in a car is a factor in less than 5% of accidents, and a significant factor in less than 2% of accidents, and this is all accidents, not just serious or fatal accidents.

What is more relevant in cars and boats is that inappropriate speed at inappropriate times is much more of an issue.

A point well made....

Neil_Y

www.h4marine.com
In response to Chris, it's not the wake as semi planing creates more wake, it's the concentration of vessels with less room to manouvre, as well as the types of vessel you are likely to meet. Most slow speed areas I know of are where you will find moorings, smaller craft like kayaks, possibly swimmers, sailing schools, boats launching/recovering, large vessels with limied space travelling slowly.

Specifically the dangers I see in Plymouth are people who enter the Cattewater at speed (speed limit 8knts) with a kayak appearing from behind a yacht on the moorings, as the ferry is coming from one side and a fishing boat is leaving from the other. Too many things going on to be travelling at any speed. As a rib driving, dinghy sailing, yacht sailing/driving, kayaking, windsurfing/swimming water user that's what I see.

Seajet

Visit site
Also it's not just 'kayaks appearing around moored boats' which are extremely vulnerable, the people going to and from the moored boats will probably be in small, slow, rowing / tiny o/b dinghies...

I will just say that as a stick & canvas type since 1970, I have noticed far more consideration & courtesy from power craft over the last few years; in fact I would be more worried nowadays about encountering certain large 'sailing schools' ! :rolleyes:

3Sheets

Visit site
Not saying speeding in car is acceptable:rolleyes: but a car doesn't drag a flipping great wake behind it does it, in a car it is the speed that kills in a boat the speed is irrelavent its the wake, however speed is seen as the only way of enforcing it which I think is wrong we should just have "No wake" zones like they do in the US.

Totally agree - I have a drying pontoon mooring on the River Arun at Littlehampton, and my mooring is the nearest to the River, the effect when the tide is at a level that my keels are just off the rock hard sand, when a MoBo ( Usually a leisure fishing boat ) chugs past totally oblivious to the wake being created behind. Makes me want to take a sledgehammer
and recreate the same experience for them on their boat.

Lakesailor

Visit site
Unfortunately the case is that a speed limit is a fact. You were going faster than X knots. Guilty.
Once you get into excessive wake arguments all the hots shots with lawyers will will evade control and the poor "Mondeo Man" boaters will get hammered.

Wrong, but fact.

As we know on Windermere, even proving speeding is not easy. Imagine trying to prove that a boat created a dangerous wake when they introduce the concept of an amplification from a reflected wake of a previous boat.

koenig

Visit site
My pet peeve is jetski's or waverunners doing their "tricks" around the dock when your in a free board challenged vessel. Those people don't seem to understand no wake zones or common courtesy around docks.

T

timbartlett

Unfortunately the case is that a speed limit is a fact. ...even proving speeding is not easy. Imagine trying to prove that a boat created a dangerous wake when they introduce the concept of an amplification from a reflected wake of a previous boat.
Bummer this business of having to prove things, isn't it?
Still, that's OK. We're heading rapidly towards the day when everything will be a criminal offence, no evidence needed. Just pay all your earnings direct to the government, and hand in your driving, walking,cycling, swimming, boating, breathing, eating, drinking sleeping, sneezing, f***king, licences for arbitrary removal of privileges once every three years.

OAF

Visit site
Bummer this business of having to prove things, isn't it?
Still, that's OK. We're heading rapidly towards the day when everything will be a criminal offence, no evidence needed. Just pay all your earnings direct to the government, and hand in your driving, walking,cycling, swimming, boating, breathing, eating, drinking sleeping, sneezing, f***king, licences for arbitrary removal of privileges once every three years.

PMSL but so true!

tinkicker0

Visit site
As a bloke who cruises up a down a river with a 6kt speed limit, I have noted that there are two camps in this regard:

First camp is that pretty much everyone in this group exceeds the limit at some point.

Second camp is those with teeny weenie outboards on quite large semi displacement hulls that are unable to exceed six knots.

There is a certain reach on the river that on many occasions when coming round the bend onto a long straight, a boat coming the other way about a mile up the long straight suddenly seems to sink deeper into the water with a huge wave forming at the time. Then the aforementioned boat suddenly rears up at the stern as another inexplicable wave hits them from behind.

This Fairline Targa 37 / Turbo 36 / Sealine F37 - delete as appropriate, then creeps past at a stately 6 knots, skipper either looking firmly towards the other bank or grinning sheepishly.

Not being a pipesmoking Freeman 27 or Seamaster skipper, I just grin back and give them a cheery wave.
This only happens on that particular reach I might add.

I may even have slipped with the throttle myself at times on that particular reach (due to the throttle friction being a bit inconsistent melord :D),usually late evening when the river is quiet, although I stress that I do not make an habit of it and inch the throttle back and forth in 100rpm increments.

Of course Bank Holiday weekend and the river is full of unregistered RIBs careening around at 30+ knots, with drunken louts aboard. No sign of the BW police launch of course.

The difference in my attitude to the two circumstances being that the registered skipper knows the river, knows there are no moorings on it, sees that the reach is clear of other vessels and clears the throats of his motors for a half mile or so.

No harm, no foul.

However, the unregistered RIB, full of pissed up pissheads, flying up and down a heavily congestered river, past moored boats and kids in canoes / inflatables without a care in the world and 115hp under his cranially challenged control.

This is a different kettle of fish altogether.

Let he who has never, ever gone a bit faster than an arbitrary set speed limit and has had the capability to do it cast the first stone.....

Last edited:

fireball

Visit site
TK - I have to say I have full sympathy with your 'registered boats' who control their boats with understanding of what is around them.