Spectacles/Glasses for sailing - advice please

maxi77

Visit site
I must admit I get on fine with bifocals, not that vain and they do for me, walking down hill/stairs was only a problem for a few days when I started with them and now have no problems. I used to wear a strap when dinghy sailing and most of the time didn't have that much of a problem with spray. On a yacht it is easy to wipe them clean if you need and now use reactolites.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I have varifocals, but would also highlight that bi-focals are worth considering.

It did take me a little while to get used to the varifocals, especially the blurring at the lower sides, which at fist had me tripping over when walking on rough ground. Now I don't really notice them except when sailing (spray/salt/rain) or motorcycling (much worse! - in rain in town either steaming up with visor closed, or getting wet if visor open, which only makes the steaming up worse....).

The other problem I find with the varifocals is when doing work on the boat, as its often really uncomfortable, sometimes impossible, to get my head at the right angle to get in focus something fairly close up (especially in confined spaces). I'm thinking of getting a pair of bi-focals or single focus lens (reading glasses?) for this purpose alone.

I'm interested by the tip about flexible frames, as I tend to unconsciously take my glasses off and rub my eyes if I'm tired, with the result I've wrecked two pairs of glasses by sitting on them when aboard. (I now alweays take an old pair as spare when sailing, so that if I lose or wreck my normal pair I can still find my way home!)

The other problem I've had is frames - my current ones have developed a sort of verdigree on the metal arms which won't come off, and the previous pair's screws became rusty. When I asked the optician, the last time I had a new pair, for stainless frames and screws, he said he didn't know of any that were available (which I found hard to believe, so I'd welcome any advice on this).

Plevier

Visit site
The other problem I find with the varifocals is when doing work on the boat, as its often really uncomfortable, sometimes impossible, to get my head at the right angle to get in focus something fairly close up (especially in confined spaces).

Yes very true. If it's in your high sight line but too far away to do without specs (assuming you're short sighted) it's a ******!

Plevier

Visit site
I don't like varifocals because of the distortion in the transition areas

Don't know when you last tried them, there have been huge improvements in transition and edge distortion, especially with the freeform designs (which as far as I can make out take advantage of CNC machining rather than traditional techniques).

Plevier

Visit site
The other problem I've had is frames - my current ones have developed a sort of verdigree on the metal arms which won't come off, and the previous pair's screws became rusty. When I asked the optician, the last time I had a new pair, for stainless frames and screws, he said he didn't know of any that were available (which I found hard to believe, so I'd welcome any advice on this).

Titanium seems favoured now for rigid ones. Had mine about 3 years now, no green. I don't know what the flexible ones are.
I think it's nickel ones that get the verdigris. Horrible.

Sailfree

Visit site
Having bought a v expensive pair from Specsavers that you could bend double I thought I had glasses that would last on a boat. No way. Specsaver repaired them 3x then 12 month guarantee run out!

Luckily my distance vision is OK and I only need +2 for reading. With small print on charts and low light conditions I opted for £1 pairs of reading glasses from the Pound shop. I go for +2.5 toallow for tireness , poor light and small print!

I need to get through 700 pairs to = the cost of the bendy ones.

They get distorted in my pocket and I bend them straight again. Amazed at their durability. I know I am a big spender!!

If I loose a pair @£1- I don't cry!!

bluerm166

Visit site
glasses

I find when wearing glasses in an open cockpit to look at the chart that even light rain is a real pain.A souwester has proved effective in shielding the lenses.

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
Nearly 50 years of wearing glasses. The last 5 on varifocals.

Spares need to be nearby if you are sailing. Ihave never had a retaining strap and have nev lost a pair to the briny thankfully. I suspect that that is because subconciiuosly i know that i am screwed without them so they are a high 'grab' priority without even thinking about it.

Varifocals work for me driving, flying or sailing, you get used to the required head motions to soem extent. If your eyes are not too bad then just get some for long distance and deal with the poor instrument displays.

Rain on the lenses? I tried all sorts of snake oil but i've just learnt to deal with crappy vision in the rain.

riojasailer

Visit site
Having bought a v expensive pair from Specsavers that you could bend double I thought I had glasses that would last on a boat. No way. Specsaver repaired them 3x then 12 month guarantee run out!

If you go to a store called "Specsavers" why do you expect quality even when you pay a lot?

Go and see a good independent if you want quality - they don't waste money on expensive TV adverts and they usually have a wider choice of options.

Yes, I am biased, I am an independent optometrist but I'm not advertising for myself. When I want a good meal I don't go for a big mac - why should eyecare be any different?:eek:

chubby

www.flickr.com
Varifocal gas permeable contacts most of the time, varifocal specs for long trips so my eyes don`t get tired and I can catnap without waking up with gritty eyes and presciption sunglasses for the odd combination of long trip and sunshine!

Just don`t do what I did on an early cross channel trip and take out contacts during the night and then not be able to find specs!!! Woke up the off watch crew, well SWMBO, crashing around trying to find specs and convinced there was a ship in sight!

Also have been guilty of waking up the next morning after a few beers with no recollection of how I got my contacts out and who helped me: usually senior daughter put me to bed!

John.edwards

Visit site
I spent 7 weeks in Brighton/Gibraltar in 2008 to do my YachMaster. Arrived in britain to the worst weather in 20 years. What do you do if weather is too bad to sail for a couple of weeks? had the laser surgery....only one eye (I am short sighted) corrected for distant vision. Other eye still short but means I can see distant and read without specs. about 60% of laser surgery is monocular, and more than half of those tolerate the single correction pretty well . the brain sorts out which eye is dominant. People who cant tolerate end up getting the second eye corrected too then need glasses for reading anyway.

In Australia, we have a private-focused health care system, with insurance. optometry etc is extre, In 2008 my added advantage was that it cost me 300pounds (about $600) for correction surgery in Britain whereas it was $2500 (per eye) in Oz.

Still need sunglasses though, and I still get through a couple of pairs a year. :cool:

Burnham Bob

Visit site
I've worn glasses since I was seven. I'm short sighted and wear varifocals most of the time since I retired. When I worked however, I used daily disposable contact lenses supplemented by reading glasses. When sailing I try to wear contact lenses because spray and rain don't interfere.

Agree with Antarctic Pilot that cheapie reading glasses are perfectly adequate. I wear a pair round my neck when i have my lenses in. My oprician tells me that with contact lenses what you see is 'bigger' than with glasses. I think that's correct because with the same strength reading glasses as the correction in my varifocals, the computer screen looks bigger.

What is useful about being short sighted though, is that if i take my glasses off I have built in magnification vision - brilliant for close work. I can read small print, see small details on electrical wiring etc by simply taking my glassess off. If you're short sighted (although the OP isn't that lucky!) a pair of single vision for long distance is fine and just take your glassess off for reading.

ksutton

Visit site
If you go to a store called "Specsavers" why do you expect quality even when you pay a lot?

Go and see a good independent if you want quality - they don't waste money on expensive TV adverts and they usually have a wider choice of options.

Yes, I am biased, I am an independent optometrist but I'm not advertising for myself. When I want a good meal I don't go for a big mac - why should eyecare be any different?:eek:

Have been wearing vari focal specs now for 30 years. Over the last 6 or so years I have been disappointed with the specs from both Specsaver and Vision Express. Have just been to my first independent optometrist last week and will collect my new specs in a week or so. Agree they are not cheap but I was impressed with both the comprehensive eye test and information when selecting new frame and lens's, now anxious to see how the final product will turn out.

oldharry

Visit site
Been wearing glasses for about 8 years now, and two years ago went to varifocals. I have no problem with the change of focus, unlike Bifocals which made me fall over! Couldnt see where my feet were going.

First of all with Varifocals - DONT BUY CHEAP. I tried Glasses Direct at £90 a pair. Unuseable. OK long distance, but the zoning for close work was all wrong, and as you have found a literal pain in the neck. You need a good, experienced and competent Optometrist. Expect to pay at least £250 plus for GOOD varifocal lenses. I am hardly aware of wearing them now, while the cheap ones I was constantly moving my head up and down. Colleagues thought I was nodding off! A good Optometrist will take a series of measurements which ensure the focii are positioned right for your eyes, which the cut price dealers dont bother with.

A second option is to get a second pair of varis where the 'read' position has a focal length of around 1.8m. Its usually enough to be able to read at arms length if your vision is not too bad, but properly in focus at your feet, or for reading cockpit instruments a couple of meters away. Very good for driving. often referred to as 'computer use' for a screen 1.5m or more away.

It does sound to me as thought he close distance focus has been set much too close for comfort in your glasses. Mine only give clear close reading at the very bottom of the frame, and I have a pair of cheap (Glasses Direct at £30) prescription reading glasses, if i am settling down to a good book.

Also if you drive on the continent much, remember that some countries insist that if you wear glasses for driving, you must have a spare pair in the car. I have once been asked to produce mine in around 8000 miles continental driving. I went for a cheap pair of single focus prescription Reactolites: ideal for driving southern Europe/Med.

Spray/ rain I always now wear a hat with a peak or brim to keep it off the glasses a bit. Being bald anyway I hate cold rain on my bare head!

stearman65

Visit site
Varifocals

Worn them over 30 years, wouldn't use anything else. To cut down head movement get lenses no more than 30mm top to bottom. Beware the high street conglomerates, one of them tried 3 times to get my prescription correct & failed, eventually got my money back & went elsewhere.
Stearman65

Plevier

Visit site
Beware the high street conglomerates, one of them tried 3 times to get my prescription correct & failed, eventually got my money back & went elsewhere.
Stearman65

I wasn't happy with some from Specsavers but my current lenses from ASDA are excellent. More limited choice of frames however.

maxi77

Visit site
I wasn't happy with some from Specsavers but my current lenses from ASDA are excellent. More limited choice of frames however.

Currently use Tesco and find the service great, at my age a get a full check free every year, no pressure to buy but their very cheap single vision glasses are ideal as the spare pair for the car/boat to get you home

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
My next pair of varifocals will have plastic frames. My current steel frames add about 15 degrees to the reading on the hand bearing compass.

That's interesting. I thought I was having trouble reading the HBC because of my varifocal lenses - ie its difficult to focus on the target and the digits - solved this by guying a monocular type compass, only £45 so very good value.