Spanish residencia?

davethedog

Visit site
I know this is a wide open question but...

As we may fall foul of the schengen rules next year, looking at ways we could spend longer than those periods in Spain.

One option is to get Spanish residencia, but no doubt there are some pitfalls to this and after advice from people who have actually done this.

I know we would have to pay the Spanish matriculation tax for our boat but what about other taxes as we are both drawing UK military pensions that are taxed in the UK?

Healthcare?

Returning to the UK in 5 years and returning to our home (rented out whilst we are away)?

Just looking at possible options.

Cheers

DTD

PlanB

Visit site
All the liveaboards that I met in Spain were "below the radar" as far as residencia went, but that may change now.
As you say, once you get residencia, matriculation tax will likely be payable, but under the old system you got a grace period if you were relocating. Although they set the value of your boat, unless it is very new/expensive, it can be a remarkable small amount.
If you take your pensions in the UK, although you have may to declare them, undere double taxation agreement, you should be OK.
We self-insured for health care and paid whenever we needed it.
All the above is subject to change now, of course.
And whatever you do - keep the UK property and a UK address.

davethedog

Visit site
Thanks and agree ref the "under the radar" part as we have seen this.

Whatever we do we will be keeping the home in the UK!