Spanish internet

ccscott49

Visit site
Hi! I have a movistar card in my phone, which is the nokia 6210, it already talks to my computer. I am at present in Ibiza, or I will be the boat is, I'm on the rig! I need an internet provider, I have heard movistar have there own, which you can dial into with 555 or something, can somebody tell me how to do it with the relevant telephone numbers to do it, or I can sign up here on my rig computer and set it all up before I go back to the boat. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in anticipation!

poter

Still going south currently in Corsica for winter
www.fairhead.com
Colin
Not sure about the particular ISP that you mentioned but if you go to:
http://www.demon.net/helpdesk/#connect
and under the connectivity menu you will find a connection type ' connecting using wap' its for the Nokia 7110 but I am sure it will work for the 6210.
I use a Nokia wap and have Demon as my ISP instead of T mobile or Nokia club.
Demon are very helpful.
Just a thought..... maybe just maybe they can help with getting a connection in Spain?
Nope. Asked the question of Demon, they gave a UK dial up no. And I assume mobile charges from Europe would not be cost effective against a local ISP in Spain.
Maybe worth checking though!
By the way you do realise that your connection speed will only be 9600bps

hope this helps

poter

Martini

Visit site
Colin

I have lived onshore and onboard martini for the last 5 years. I have been using mercury (vjhuertas@mercuryin.es) as my server via my movistar mobile. It cost me 130-00/year but it is a good service. The beauty of mercury is they have local numbers to connect to all over spain, making it a little cheeper. As you already know using a mobile to connect to the internet is pretty exspensive. lately I have been using Cyber Cafe's and link up to internet and email using MSN and a hotmail account. I find this a lot cheeper. If you do find the movistar number please let us know. I will be back in Spain end of june so will check for you. I will be staying around the Costa de Sol over the next few months so if you ever see a yacht called martini say hello. I work in Russia I assume you are on an offshore rig. I have spent many years in North sea.

Fairweather sailing

Martini

ccscott49

Visit site
Thanks for your input Martini, I'm in Ibiza at present and will winter in Barcelone, so if our trails cross, I'll keep ma beer cold for you. Yes, I'm in the oilpatch, on Ekofisk at the moment, but worked in Russia for a while, siberia, northern lights project, very cold!! There is this movistar thing, there own internet portal, especially for mobiles, which makes it a little cheaper, but still slow, I use an E mail system called <fastmail.fm> which is perfect for mobile E mail, it cuts out all the adverts etc. I also use cyber cafes and hotmail, but my fastmail, collects all my E mail from hotmail and any others, cleans it up and then sends it to my fastmail account efficient and fast, I use outlook express, to access my fastmail. I will try your way aswell!

Boatman

Visit site
Colin

Try going to www.terra.es it's the Telephonica ISP there is a section called Mi Movil under services and I think you can setup something there, certainly it will give you the toll free number to call. I am not sure about mobile hook-ups but certainly the landline set up is free.

Best of luck

peter

halcyon

Visit site
Have you tried Clara.net, UK ISP provider has taken over a Spanish outfit.
Also cover France and Germany.

Brian