Spanish/Canarias anchoring restrictions?

Ariadne

The Mrs kids and boat are in Grenada. Me? I'm in S
blog.mailasail.com
"From the OCC Port Officer in Rosas Spain:

finally we're at a marina in Tenerife with Wi-Fi. I don't know if
you're aware of this, but there seems to be some new legislation in
place in Spanish waters...

We anchored without problems in Lanzarote and Fuertaventura for
several days. On arrival to Tenerife however, we were contacted by
Tenerife traffic control by name, who clearly were monitoring our AIS
signal. and after telling them of our intention to anchor in a popular
spot North of Santa Cruz, we were told that this was prohibited for
non-Spanish vessels and that we had to stay at a marina or a
commercial harbour. They said that anchoring for more than several
hours was allowed only for Spanish vessels anywhere in the Canaries.
It sounded ridiculous and we didn't believe it. Then, after moving
further south to a very pleasant and popular anchorage together with a
French registered vessel, both our boat and the French one's documents
were checked by a patrol boat of the Guardia Civil, after which we
were promptly asked to leave and were told we could stay only in a
marina, a commercial harbor, or an "approved anchorage for foreign
yachts" further south, whatever that means - which we could use after
contacting them. All this is quite strange since there was nothing of
the sort in mainland Spain, nor on Lanzarote or Fuertaventura, where
while at anchor we were regularly passed by Guardia Civil patrol
boats, who didn't take any interest in us whatsoever. To further
complicate the situation we were told that this was the situation on
all Canary islands, as well as in Spain... Only registered vessels are
presently allowed to anchor overnight."

I was talking with the Capitania Maritima de Santa Cruz de Tenerife and they say it is correct, no Spanish flag boats can anchor anywhere on the coast.
The thought is that they apply the rule as it is not applied in other parts of spain. Lanzarote and Fuerteventura are not from Santa Cruz Capitania, are from Las Palmas, and nobody is saying anything there.
Probably when the Captain of Santa Cruz leaves his position they will no longer apply this rule there.
Any way if anybody wants to anchor in any spot of Santa Cruz, La Gomera, La Palma & Hierro, they have to ask for permission at the Capitania of Santa Cruz one or two days before, (preferable a week) and then they won’t have any problem to go.

We're saddened but not too surprised...we've returned early from our planned cruise, firstly we've been unlucky with our winds and weather.
But more to the point, we went to Mallorca to survey places for next years parties and in Puerto Colum, Mallorca's only safe all weather anchorage, we found three quarters of the anchoring area covered with mooring buoys at 45/55 euros a night and offering NO facilities. Most of the buoys were empty and everyone anchoring in one tight corner. An official told us that next year the whole anchorage would be moorings only, so no anchoring at all and that the Balearics Govt were taking over control of the situation. On buying the latest pilot, we see that these moorings are being laid at all the Island anchorages.
The pleasant atmosphere of the Balearics is being tarnished and we will not return there."

Anybody want get some up to date info' on this situation?

Wansworth

Visit site
Reminds me of the camping regs in Spain...no "wild camping" only on official sites......they need the cash!From a Spanish point of view yachtsmen are very rich;even more so if they are foreigners.

SeamanStaines

Visit site
We have been in the Balearics for most of the summer and have anchored in the following places with no issues (or charge save one)

Santa ponsa
Palma Nova
Porto portalls
Porto colum (by the fish farm)
Cala grande
Polensa
Soller
Cala portals
Cala galdana
Mahon (€7)

We where in Porto Colum in AUgust. I did not think the buoyed area was any bigger than it has been for the last ten years. There where about twenty boats anchored by the fish farm, we did not see any port officials in the week we where there. I have been charged before for anchoring though (about five or six years ago) but it seemed to be a one off.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
In the Balearics, we found that in Porto Colom the number of buoys has increased rapidly. It is possible to find a spot to anchor but not easy, as much of the area is now buoyed. The buoys are run by the Club Nautic and they charged €23 per night for a 12m yacht.

Otherwise, we found that most other places you could anchor. At Mahon, we anchored in the cala to the north behind the old fort. We were told only 3 nights there by other cruisers but there is no enforcement of the rule and we know of folks who've stayed there for 8 days.

Further north on the Spanish coast, most of the bays which would be OK for anchorages are full - bung full - of buoys during the season (Jul - Aug). As we came south during the first week of September they were all being taken out. I wouldn't have a problem using them but the spacing on the buoys is designed for sub 8m boats and therefore no use to us at all. However, there are some places where the buoys have yet to go and indeed I suspect will never go as they are too remote from anything on shore, so you can find a place to stop. We spent over a month moving from north to south of Cabo Creus dodging the winds; in Cadaques when the wind was from most directions, tucked up in one or other of the little calas to the north of cape when the wind swung round to the south.

Mrs Springy

Visit site
I can't comment on the situation in the Canaries.

We've been in the Balearics since June and have been at anchor (we haven't been into a marina since when we were in mainland Spain in May) and, like Seaman Staines have not had any issues. However, one of the few places we haven't been to is Puerto Colum

I think the OCC Officer's report contains a few generalisations e.g. "....The pleasant atmosphere of the Balearics is being tarnished..." IMO, nothing could be further from the truth - the Balearics' atmosphere remains pleasant and untarnished, we've had such a lovely time here this summer.

We have used the Posidonia buoys on a couple of occasions and that system has worked fine for us i.e. booking online and staying for a two days max, without any charge.

The only time we've had any hassle was a couple of weeks ago when we anchored in Cala Llonga in Majorca and a marinero came out in his launch from Marina Cala D'Or and chased us off! He told us the anchorages in Cala Llonga are privately owned and we had 10 minutes in which to leave or, alternatively, go into the marina. We don't believe the anchorages are private but, for the sake of peace and quiet, we left and anchored a short distance away in Porto Petro.

I think the OCC Officer is being a tad alarmist - maybe it was just one of those days?

Ariadne

The Mrs kids and boat are in Grenada. Me? I'm in S
blog.mailasail.com
Who knows?

When we were coming out of the Med in 2010, plenty of the anchorages in Menorca had been reduced as they had moved the swimmer buoys out quite a distance. As for the main anchorage in Mahon behind Fort Isabella that was unrestricted as it always was. We stayed for 6 weeks once waiting with no problems for spares and such like, and again for 3 weeks on the way out.

Majorca was quite a bit more relaxed and we anchored where ever we wanted free of charge most of the time., and the possedonia buoys are always a good bet in all the islands.

I'm not sure it is, what it was, for anchoring and being welcome as a cruiser, but it's still one of my favourite cruising areas!

nesrouge

Visit site
cambodia

liveaboard for 14 years,around the world,I must say that privatisation of the sea is a réality.
Yersterday,I was mooring in front a resort in cambodia(see transparency),when 2 people on a Zodiac ask me to moove/they were politely threatenig:"the sea here belong to us""we are friend of governement"=translate "we have guns";

In france,in Brittany(Morbihan) you have to pay Le Bono harbour to anchor ...

We are Nomads,remember.We can smile and stole theit wifes.

Tavern Senses

Visit site
Re: cambodia

You should immediately lodge a complaint with the European Commission. Even with the UK being outside the Schengen Zone, it is (for the time being at least) still a member of the EU. It is illegal for one member state (Spain) to entertain a national law or rule ("who is allowed to anchor?") that favors nationals (Spanish sailors) over other EU nationals (i.e. UK sailors) !!

GrahamM376

Visit site
Re: cambodia

You should immediately lodge a complaint with the European Commission. Even with the UK being outside the Schengen Zone, it is (for the time being at least) still a member of the EU. It is illegal for one member state (Spain) to entertain a national law or rule ("who is allowed to anchor?") that favors nationals (Spanish sailors) over other EU nationals (i.e. UK sailors) !!

Don't hold your breath, there will be a loophole somewhere allowing them to do it, maybe along the lines of Spanish registered boats pay taxes and unless you're in a marina you haven't. We anchored off mainland SW Spain last season and had no problems.