Space heaters

G

Hello

I am thinking of getting a space heater to use on our 32ft by 9ft TSDY. I will eventually be getting (probably) warm air heating put in but not until I've paid off some of the loan for buying the cruiser! I've seen the Plastimo Catalytic heaters advertised. Has anybody had experience of these or similar. I want a gas/diesel heater (there is not always shore power available where I mess around on the Shannon) for the saloon so any advice gratefully received.

Joe

Sailing on the inland waterways of Ireland
Visit my website at
http://come.to/feakle

G

Re: RePlastimo Catalytic heaters

One other heater you might want to consider is the "Origo" Heat Pal. Its made in Sweden and operates on denatured alcohol. Very safe to use and very efficient. We bought one last year and it kept us warm without any problems. While my profile shows me in SW Florida, our winter last year was far colder than normal...with a number of days and nights at the freezing mark...and extremely windy as we had a 'noreaster' come through. Our boat is a Morgan 33 Out Islander....33 feet long with a 12' beam. Kept us warm though.

ccscott49

Visit site
Catalytic heaters produce moisture, lots of it, you need a heater which does not use open flame, but the origo mentioned here is pretty good.

charles_reed

Visit site
Catalytic heaters (in fact all oxidising heaters) produce bags of water vapour, besides being dangerous in inadequately ventilated areas.

When I rebelled at the cost of repairing my Eberspacher, I found a conventional 220/240 volt fan heater a more than adequate replacement.
If you intend to be alongside with shorepower I'd suggest this as the most feasible.

Alternatively look at a charcoal buring stove - most live-aboards swear by them whilst swearing at their Webastos or Eberspachers.

G

I recently bought a Plastimo catalytic. Sent it back - the lighting was a nightmare - whether it was the design or I was unlucky with mine but the flame cut out kept switching it off. I never got it to run for more than three minutes at a stretch. I then decided to buy an Origo. This certainly started but it was a bit fumey (some meths was better than others)
and used up a lot of meths. I am thinking now about a Bengco charcoal stove - see my other post.

G

Re: RePlastimo Catalytic heaters

Thanks - I'll look into that one.

Actually I'll be in Florida next February for 2 weeks. Could we meet?

Joe

Visit my website at

G

Thanks for the help..Maybe I'll have to bite teh bullet (see the bank manager again!) and buy a proper space heater. Any advice on these. There is one being sold here in Ireland called a Wallis (or something similar). Seems cheap enough (i.e. £900 or so).

Visit my website at