Southern Ireland Info

david

Visit site
I’ve done the Isles of Scilly and in August I intend jump across from St Marys to do Southern Ireland from Waterford going west to Bantry and further if time and weather permit

What I would like to know from our travelled band is what ports of call are a “must see” and “don’t bother”???

I’ve never been to Ireland before, so all or any information as to stopovers, food, pubs, go and look at, must see will be most welcome…

Thanks in anticipation….

Dave.

PS.. if the info is good I will print the thread to use as a guide.

<hr width=100% size=1>David

burgundyben

Visit site
not sure how far west Bantry is, but can massively reccomend Baltimore, fab place, esp Casey's for food, plus Loch Ine, one of the most beautiful places I have been. Ireland loverly in general.

<hr width=100% size=1>Sod the Healey - I think I'll buy an E-Type.

JasonB

Visit site
As a Local (Cork Harbour) I personally like to go to:

Kinsale - very touristy but still nice to visit - Marina at the yacht club - more pubs and restaurents that you can possibly visit. My wife adores the place.

Courtmacsherry - Very challenging if you have any sort of a deep keel but they do have a 50-60ft Pontoon to tie up to overnight that was free the last time I was there.

Glandore - Too nice to describe. If the Rectory Restaurent is still open, go there! Council provided moorings and local moorings also available, you must pay for them though.

Baltimore/Sherkin Island - both have Old Barges made to act as Pontoons. I prefer Sherkin Island but Baltimore has more facilities.

Crookhaven - Council provided moorings for which you pay - a gorgeous spot to visit. Good food was available in a restaurent by the Quay the last time I was there.

There is a good Pilot book by the Irish cruising club for the south and west coast - well worth the money.

Regards,

Jason

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
Kilmore Quay is nice little marina for arriving at (very good restaurant very close to harbour); Dunmore East in the Suir estuary is worth a visit as is Waterford Town (glassmakers and great museum on the quay).

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

david

Visit site
Sounds great Jason, I've also looked up your reference to the book by the ICC, I cant get one on amazon but I can through Imrays web site.

Anymore tips of where to go/see :)

spanners

Visit site
As a local ( also Cork Harbour )I would just like to add Bantry Bay to Jasons list,
The scenery is breathtaking and you have Castletown Bere , Glengarriffe and Bantry to visit,
One would need a second lifetime to visit all the lovely places here in the South Coast, but David you will find a welcome wherever you decide to drop the anchor

Regards
Tim

<hr width=100% size=1>Tis meself, so it is.

towlerg

Visit site
Get the ICC pilot, it's invaluable. Skip Baltimore, I seem to remember paing far too much to tie up to a concrete barge (but I guess any amount of money is too much to tie up to a concrete barge).

One of the joys of Ireland you may experiece is buy desiel thats dyed green, universally described as red desiel.

If time and wind allow try to get to Connemarra, it's worth it!

Have fun, it's great here.

Rgds George

<hr width=100% size=1>

kindredspirit

www.begleys.com
If you're short on time, jump to Cork Harbour instead of Waterford.

I've just come back from St. Mary's and Cork is 142 miles and Kilmore Quay is also 142 miles from the Scillies.

Therefore, you'll save the time travelling between Waterford and Cork.

(Would not advise Dungarvan or Youghal between Waterford and Cork, too shallow)

<hr width=100% size=1>Kev.

wave.gif

david

Visit site
Red Diesel thats coloured green

Red Diesel thats coloured green, now how more can you get to being in Ireland than that :)

Many thanks too everyone for the invaluable info. We are really looking forward to the trip.

To all the Irish posters.... From August 10/11th keep a look out for a Nauticat 38 "NELL" Flying the Cornish Flag on her mizzen.

david

Visit site
South West

I only mention the South West because thats where I live, I could have refered to anywhere in the uk, my comment still stands. The RYA web site does nothing for cruisers it's shame on them for not doing something like the Irish cruising guide, IMHO The RYA should be told not everyone races... !

DavidBolger

www.ladyrowena.net
From Kilmore Quay to Cork Harbour is a long hop so you could stop at Dunmore East - try the Ship Restaurant and Ballycotton (as long as there's no E in the weather) for the Ballycotton Hotel or Grapefruit Moon restaurant. In Kilmore Quay try the Silver Fox for food. On the otherside of Glandore is Union Hall. Try the seafood platter in McGintys pub on the corner. Between Glandore and Baltimore try Castletownsend and go to Mary Annes pub and restaurant. I would skip Baltimore as it gets a bit crowded with some unsavouries. Frm Schull, go to Crookhaven and try the only restaurant there. (Blue cafe I think is the name - best restaurant on the coast). After you round the Mizen, go to Castletownsend. Big fishing port with plenty of good fish restaurants. Don't try the marina on Bear Island as last time I was there, it was closed. Going without the ICC guide is like trying to work your new DVD player without the instruction book. If you don't get it before you go, you can get it in the bookstore in Kinsale. Calves week (same week as Cowes week and named as a result) is on around that time and a number of the clubs will have their regattas down there which everyone travels to so it can get busy. Look at www.sailing.ie for the racing calendar if you wish to avoid any of them.

Enjoy

David

By the way, it is not referred to as red diesel by the Irish. Red diesel is subsidised for agricultural use and green diesel is subsidised for Marine use. Buy whatever is the cheapest and you can get your hands on. Prices vary and Kilmore Quay is the cheapest that I have found.

<hr width=100% size=1>

kindredspirit

www.begleys.com
Use this site for wave height info crossing to Ireland.

FSI is the oil platform rig approx 30 miles south of Cork.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.marine.ie/scientific+services/data+services/data+buoy/observations.htm>http://www.marine.ie/scientific+services/data+services/data+buoy/observations.htm</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>Kev.

wave.gif

kds

www.canongrange.co.uk
Re: South West

We are not still knocking the RYA ! Now they have to publish cruising Guides ?
If you are serious, I am suprised you have not heard of the publications of the Cruising Association, which will will probably cover the South West, wherever that is !
Stay cool.
Ken

<hr width=100% size=1>Check out some pictures of my boat at;
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.canongrange.co.uk/boat>http://www.canongrange.co.uk/boat</A>